Hear what’s on The Cord fall playlist

“Revenge Song” – Corbin

Kurtis Rideout – Editor-in-Chief

“Know you have it in you girl/Don’t hide, you’re a god tonight”

It’s always really hard to pick one song but I feel like it’s easy if you can pin it to a mood. Thankfully I’m starting to get fall vibes, so the debut album from Corbin (FKA Spooky Black), aptly titled Mourn, has 10 prime examples to choose from.

A standout for me would have to be “Revenge Song.” Although the whole album is worth a thorough listen, this song stands alone as the ultimate revenge tale – more retributive if anything – fused with a twisted tinge of raw romantic passion.

Its content is dark and I would advise those sensitive to potentially triggering imagery to listen with caution. But the story that unfolds is one that is multi-faceted, cinematic and ultimately an enduring tale of compassion and closure; one worth diving into on a bleak fall day.

“Stars and Satellites” – Dan Griffin

Sarah Tyler – Video Editor

“And I’m hoping that the stars and satellites/Will always bring me home”

“Stars and Satellites” by Dan Griffin gives me all the feels. It’s mellow, beautiful, sad, nostalgic and it’s full of hope all at the same time.

The authenticity of the lyrics makes it the perfect song when you want to just let it all go until you run out of tears. It’s kind of cool to have somewhere so close to home mentioned in the opening as well because it increases the familiarity and attraction of the song itself.

For me personally, “Stars and Satellites” both have meaning relatable to my family’s history, ultimately playing a role in my own identity.

The instrumental though … I could listen to the classical guitar forever. It’s the kind of song someone could listen to as they paint their emotions into a masterpiece, or maybe fall asleep because sometimes that’s all you need.

Echoes Pink Floyd

Michael Oliveri – Senior Copy Editor

“And no one knows the where’s and why’s/But something stirs and something tries”

“Echoes” by Pink Floyd is the band’s early career masterpiece. The song was released on the album Meddle in 1971. This song comes in at a sort of turning point for the group, a moment when they were on the cusp of a great change.

The surreal atmosphere of previous albums is still somewhat present. Also present is the poetic and reflective lyrics that the band is known for.

Speaking of lyrics, they are few and far between throughout this piece, as most of the song is ambient noise and a beautiful instrumental showing.

Another thing to note is that this is a 23-minute-long song, clearly not designed for easy and quick listening. Personally this song puts me on a journey of self-reflection, a journey that feels like I’m in going through the void of space.

I know it sounds strange and it’s not for everyone, but trust me on this one.

“The System Only Sleeps in Total Darkness” – The National

Katherine Weber – Web Assistant

“Why are you hiding from me?/We’re in a different kind of thing now”

The National’s new studio album titled Sleep Well Beast is their seventh studio album. The National is a smooth alternative band from Cincinnati, Ohio formed in 1999.

The lead singer Matt Beginner, is speaking about the hatred and chaos referred to as the “darkness” in this world that has happened four years since their last studio album was released.

Audiences can be intrigued because this is a rare occasion of their songs that Beginner utilizes his vocal range, and does not stick with his usual quite monotone pitch. Naturally, I like to listen to songs that my apple music account places their famous grey star beside.

The grey star that you look for when you are trying to find a crowd pleaser at your friend’s birthday party or to receive a notion of what the hits are on the album.

“The System Only Sleeps in Total Darkness” was in fact the first song on the album I listened to and was pleasantly surprised. The song starts off with a similar sound that I have always loved about The National since I was in grade 10.

A smooth, calm and collective vibe; only this time with a hint of classic rock. It opens with a layered choir effortlessly singing in perfect pitch which escalates towards a snazzy couple of chords on the guitar and a boxy drum loop.

The most captivating part of the song is the clean-cut guitar solo. This develops in progression towards the bridge. It is executed through a similar nature of your most favourite classic rock band’s guitar solo.

Something so unexpected from a laid back alternative band; but carried out perfectly from a group of guys in the industry for quite some time now. Bands who know how to pursue music that keeps a similar sound but not too similar, where each song is a near replica, are well worth a repeated listen.

“Black Water” – Timber Timbre

Shyenne MacDonald – Arts & Life Editor

“All I need is some sunshine/All I need”

Whenever Sept. winds down to an end and Fall is just beginning, “Black Water” is a song that always seems to bump its way to the top of my playlist. It is one of those songs I had originally heard around October, and now I perpetually associate it with the approach of Halloween.

First off, bonus points for keeping it Canadian, Timber Timbre is a band from Bobcaygeon, Ontario. “Black Water” is a song that is darker than what I normally listen to. It takes a bit of analysis to decipher it’s meaning. Even then, the song is up to interpretation, as all music is.

To me, the song is about willingly surrendering yourself over to darker desires that inevitably ruin you. This idea is brought on by the vocalist, Taylor Kirk, singing about a siren in the first verse. What is a siren but the epitome of desire and destruction?

In the outro, Kirk repeats the line “black water/pull me down,” which I feel further adds to this idea of being consumed – and ultimately, destroyed – by desire.

As for the musical part of the song, I would describe it as languid. Which I think creates an air of indifference to the situation Kirk created. There’s also a noticeable beat from the drums, that has the effect of preventing the song from being too slow.

Overall, it’s a haunting song that leaves me with major Fall vibes.

“A Storm is Coming” – Howard Shore

Garrison Oosterhof – Web Director

“A Storm is Coming” is the first song from The Return of the King’s official soundtrack. This song is like an opening monologue in Shakespeare as it sets up the experience of the album.

My favourite thing about this piece is that it uses several movements from the rest of the score: “The Ring theme,” “The Shire theme,” and what I think is “The Orc theme.”

As I listen to the album, I feel like I am halfway between the book and the movie. My mind imagines what the movie left out but remembers the great scenes that it illustrated.

This album has been my go-to for long drives and studying. It can be a calming, ambient background but also a contemplative experience on its own.

Even if you think soundtracks aren’t your thing, if you like the Lord of the Rings you will enjoy this audio experience.