Hawks kick off U-Sports National Curling Championships

The Wilfrid Laurier University women’s curling team are looking to win their fifth national title as a program as they will compete at the U-Sports National Curling Championships in Leduc, Alberta from March 24 to March 28.

The Hawks have tons of momentum going into the tournament, coming off their tenth OUA championship. Things have gotten off to a good start for the Hawks, as they won their opening round-robin game against Regina by a final score of 6-4.

It was a back and forth affair as both teams were in a deadlock until the fifth end where the Hawks scored twice to take a 3-1 lead. However, Regina responded immediately with a two score sixth end to tie the game once again.

As the game progressed towards the final stages, both teams tacked on a run and the match up had to go into an extra eleventh end, where the Hawks did what they have been doing all year; performed in the clutch.

With the Hawks having the hammer (last-rock advantage) in the eleventh end, the odds were in their favour and they came through with a 2-run end to take the victory.

Unfortunately for the Hawks, their second game on opening day didn’t go as well.

Laurier took on Mount Allison and couldn’t recover from an early deficit. Mount Allison scored in every one of the first five ends, while keeping the Hawks off the board. The Hawks would end up losing by a final score of 9-1.

Laurier will look to get back on track as they face off against Memorial and Brock on the second day of the U-Sports National Championships.