Hawks drop to UOIT

Laurier lost 2-1 to UOIT on the weekend; play Waterloo and Windsor this weekend. (Photo by Madeline Turriff)

The Wilfrid Laurier University women’s soccer team had plenty of motivation heading into Friday night’s game against the UOIT Ridgebacks.

For the first time since September 2010, the Golden Hawks were playing without being in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national rankings. As the game was drawing to an end in a 1-1 tie, all the momentum seemed to be going in Laurier’s favour.

The offence was producing numerous chances and pressing for the victory.  However, in extra time Ridgeback forward Sonia Sampogna capitalized on a turnover deep in Laurier territory, putting it past a helpless goaltender Katrina Ward for the 2-1 win. It marked the second straight game where Laurier gave up a costly goal in the final minutes of extra time.

The first half proved to be uneventful for either team, as neither team’s offence could produce any considerable scoring chances, resulting in a 0-0 tie at half. This theme quickly ended at the beginning of the second half as Ridgeback midfielder Emily Copeland-Dinan caught the Laurier defence flat-footed striking the ball beyond the reach of Ward.

Laurier’s offence continued to remain quiet for the beginning of the second half until the 73rd minute when veteran midfielder Julie Maheu scored a beautiful goal blasting it over UOIT goaltender Laura Wheelan and into the net.

“A great goal,” said Laurier head coach Barry MacLean. It was Maheu’s first game of the season as she returned from a hand injury to a Laurier roster that has been plagued by injury.

From that point on Lauier’s offence continued to put pressure on the Ridgeback defence. Midfielder Katie Bishop was instrumental in the revamped Laurier offence as she distributed the ball with pinpoint accuracy. Substitute forward Kayleigh Bell was also a key figure, as her presence seemed to help re-start the Laurier offence.

“It showed that we had another gear that we could have got to earlier,” MacLean said about the late offence of the Hawks.

In the end, Laurier’s offensive assault wasn’t enough as the Ridgebacks etched out their first-ever win against the Golden Hawks.

With the loss, Laurier’s record stands at 4-2-3, which drops them to third place in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West division. The team has 15 points, which puts them behind the Western Mustangs and the Guelph Gryphons who have 19 and 18 points, respectively.

The Hawks will look to rebound in their next game on October 4th at University Stadium against cross town rivals, the Waterloo Warriors. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.