Golden Hawks varsity sports weekend recap

Men’s Rugby

The Laurier men’s rugby team has had an impressive season so far, but unfortunately their playoff run came to a heartbreaking end at the hands of the Guelph Gryphons.

Although the Hawks had the lead for most of the game, the Gryphons pulled off a magnificent second half comeback to win by a final score of 34-26.

The season isn’t over for the team yet though, as they will compete for the OUA bronze medal next week against the University of Waterloo in what is shaping up to be the biggest ‘Battle of Waterloo’ of the year.

[siteorigin_widget class=”WP_Widget_Media_Image”][/siteorigin_widget]

Men’s and Women’s Basketball

Both the women’s and men’s basketball teams were in action this past weekend against Carleton and Ottawa.

It was a slightly better weekend for the men’s team as they went 1-1.

The Hawks put up an impressive performance against the number one ranked Carleton Ravens and although they lost by a final score of 80-77, they showed a lot of heart against arguably the best team in the country.

The Hawks then followed that performance up with a nice win against the Ottawa Gee-Gees thanks to a tremendous performance by Ali Sow who put up 30 points.

The women’s team struggled in Ottawa as they went 0-2 against the Ravens and Gee-Gees.

The Hawks couldn’t get anything going offensively, and that was ultimately their demise. Laurier’s record is now 1-3 and they will look to get back on track next weekend as they take on the University of Toronto and Ryerson at home.

Women’s and Men’s Hockey

The Laurier women’s and men’s hockey teams split a pair of games over the weekend against Windsor and Western.

The women took down Windsor 3-0 as goaltender Cohen Myers made 30 saves and earned her first career shutout and win as a Golden Hawk.

This was also the Hawks’ first win of the season and head coach Kelly Paton’s first win as Laurier’s head coach.

Unfortunately, the Hawks lost against Western on the second night of the back-to-back as they gave up two crucial goals in the third period.

The men’s team was involved in two nail-biting contests against Windsor and Western.

The Hawks fell just short against the Lancers by a final score of 5-4 but bounced back with a shootout win against the Mustangs.

It was a thrilling game between the rivals and the Hawks won largely in part to goalie Tyler Fassl’s performance as he came up with big save after big save.

The men will now take on the Guelph Gryphons at home on Nov. 8 while the women will face the Warriors in the ‘Battle of Waterloo’ on Nov. 9.