Golden Hawks start their season strong with 39-21 win over the Ottawa Gee-Gees

Photo by Garrison Oosterhof

Football season has officially made its return to Wilfrid Laurier University and in a big way. The Golden Hawks wasted absolutely no time, showing no rust in a blowout 39-21 win over the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

After forcing a quick three and out, Laurier got to work with a flurry of strong runs capped off by an 8-yard Levondre Gordon touchdown run. The Hawks would go on to finish the first with a 16-3 lead.

After the quick start, Ottawa pulled a little closer hoping to close the quarter only down 9 points and receive the ball after half. Kurleigh Gittens Jr., last year’s OUA MVP flushed that hope down the drain with a 44 yard punt return that would set up a 21-yard touchdown run by Gordon on the next play to close the half out. 

The Golden Hawks would hold off on any attempts Ottawa could make at a momentum shift as the defence, with some new faces in starting positions showed up, such as Will Amoah who had a big interception in the third quarter.

“I thought the [defence] performed really well. Obviously it starts up front with the defensive line but I was also impressed with our secondary. Ottawa has some really talented receivers and a lot of speed so I thought our defensive backs and linebackers did a good job of covering that,” said Coach Faulds.

The offence behind Kurleigh Gittens Jr. (8 receptions, 129 yards) and Levondre Gordon (14 carries, 109 yards, 2 touchdowns) and Tristan Arndt who performed well, in addition to a defence that looked ready, look primed and hungry for another run at the Yates Cup.

“We’re a well-oiled machine but its still week one. It’s about steps, I tell the guys and I use the analogy that we’re at the base of the mountain. Ultimately, the Vanier cup is putting your flag on the top. So week by week we gotta climb it a bit.”

Next up will be Queen’s as the Hawks look to improve to 2-0 to start the season.