Golden Hawks Soar over Paladins in 85-3 victory on Senior Day 

Laurier Men's rugby player kicking the ball in a conversion
Photo By: Tim Harrison

In a display of rugby dominance, Laurier Golden Hawks showed an array of offensive prowess by winning 85-3 over the visiting Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins on Saturday’s Senior Day. Coming off last week’s blowout win against the York Lions, Laurier carried the momentum over to secure back-to-back wins.   

The match was an offensive masterclass from the Golden Hawks. Within ten minutes of the first half, Laurier scored three try’s and two conversions putting them up 19-0 early and setting the tone for the rest of the match.  

Laurier’s Adam McNee scored a whopping nine conversions from varying angles and played a crucial role in the Golden Hawk’s victory. When asked about the confidence the team has in McNee when he goes up to kick, Head Coach Phil Murphy said, “He always has our confidence, sometimes we have more confidence in his ability than he does in his own ability.” 

The game was full of thunderous tackles and exhilarating runs keeping fans engaged from start to finish. To add to McNee’s dominance, Dylan Di Girolamo also made his share of contributions by scoring two consecutive try’s, one of which came on the back end of a streaking run from the halfway line to the try zone.  

The Golden Hawks held strong against the Paladins, moving to 3-2 on the season.  

Looking ahead, Laurier is set to play the Waterloo Warriors in the Battle of Waterloo on Friday Oct 13th. With the Golden Hawks coming off two confident wins, they are undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with, and are prepared to fly high above Waterloo and win their final game of the regular season.  

With Saturdays win potentially being the senior’s final game in front their home crowd, the game had an extra degree of importance for the team. Di Girolamo shared, “It’s a quarter of your life with these guys everyday – you’re going to miss the guys.” 

McNee left no room for doubt about Laurier’s goal for the rest of the season. With the teams’ eyes set on the playoffs, he said, “Yeah, we’re coming. We’ll see you if you get us on your schedule. Be worried.”