Golden Hawks defeat Gaels at Homecoming game, 52-16

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s football team got back to their winning ways Saturday afternoon with a homecoming blowout victory over the Queen’s Gaels, 52-16.

The team got off to an 8 point lead with Connor Carusello sending Romy Simpson a touchdown pass with Nathan Mesher adding a rouge point, but Queen’s would cut the deficit to five before the end of the quarter adding a rouge point of their own as well as a safety.

The Golden Hawks would go on a streak to score 24 more unanswered points in the second quarter, with Levondre Gordon, Will Amoah and Osayi Iginuan all adding touchdowns of their own and Mesher adding a field goal to close out the quarter, but Queen’s would score a 100 yard kickoff return to give themselves a double-digit score before the end of the half. 

Laurier continued to prove their dominance at the start of the second half again scoring two unanswered touchdowns, with Ente Eguavoen and Jordan French adding seven points each to bring Laurier’s lead to 46-10.

Queen’s would be last to score in the third, however, with a blocked extra-point attempt the Gaels would be left with 16 points in the game.

Laurier closed out the game with six final points in the fourth quarter as Mesher would score one last field goal along with a rouge point and the team added a safety to bring the final score to 52-16, Laurier’s biggest win this season and their first homecoming win since 2016.