Five hot date spots

Photo by Sadman Sakib Rahman

For most couples, Valentine’s Day, or any other special occasion, calls for a special meal. Going out for dinner is a safe bet for a date, after all, everybody has to eat. It’s an easy way to celebrate a milestone or to just spend time with your significant other. That doesn’t mean that you always have to frequent the same restaurants however. Avoid the argument over where to eat and impress your date by taking them to one of the following places.

271West Restaurant – 271 King St. W, Kitchener

Often overlooked among the other restaurants on King St. It’s cozy atmosphere and fresh, handmade pasta will provide the perfect date spot when all you want is a relaxing night with your date, whether a new flame or a long-term partner. Pasta is a crowd pleaser, and a safe bet if you’re unsure where to bring your newest Tinder date, even if they’re a vegetarian.

Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge – 4 King St N, Waterloo

Switch it up on your next date and swap out dinner for brunch. This restaurant serves breakfast late into the afternoon, with a menu spanning Eggs Benedict, French toast, waffles and more. You don’t even have to be up early to enjoy it. In addition to being less intimidating than dinner, brunch also allows you to extend the date by spending the afternoon exploring Uptown Waterloo.

Marbles – 8 William Street East, Waterloo

Boasting “casual fine dining”, Marbles is the perfect place if you’re unsure exactly what type of restaurant your situation calls for. It’s also great if you want to be a little fancier without feeling stuffy or giving up your comfort foods. Having opened in 1977, they’re proud of being one of the longest running restaurants in Waterloo and will welcome you and your date like one of the family. You can choose to stick with familiar eats like hamburgers, chicken wings and poutine, or show your partner that you’re not afraid to try new things with dishes like Moroccan Tagine.

Princess Cafe – 46 King St N, Waterloo

Give the classic dinner and a movie date a refresher and support a local business at the same time. Have lunch or share some dessert before seeing the latest blockbuster, or one of the independent films that the Princess often shows. The Cafe has recently expanded to allow for more seating in the annex, across from the main dining room. This space allows you to escape the usual hustle and bustle of the cafe and spend some time talking and getting to know each other. The best part? Princess Cinema has student pricing.

Swine & Vine – 295 Lancaster St W, Unit B, Kitchener

Want the chance to take your date to a restaurant they’ve (almost certainly) never heard of? Swine & Vine opened in January 2018 and specializes in plates to share and charcuterie boards – and they also conveniently have a special Valentine’s Day menu. Although I haven’t been able to visit yet, their Facebook page has only 5-star reviews so far. However, it seems that you’ll pay for it as Swine & Vine is the most expensive date spot of all five listed. I’m sure your date won’t have anything to complain about if you do.