Finding a good hangover cure

Finding a good hangover cure is like finding any good relationship: something to rely on through the good times and the bad ⎯ that doesn’t leave you with a splitting headache.

The Cord asked our Twitter followers to share the hangover cures that they rely on for occasions like this past St. Patrick’s Day.

alt text

Among classic suggestions like Caesars and Gatorade, keeping your fluids up in several different ways was among one of the most popular suggestions.

alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

While others swore by a greasy meal, a unanimous source was not agreed upon.

alt text
alt text
alt text

A few students recommended a combination of these two staple hangover cures.

alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

The veterans among us know that the first step leading to a hangover is the mistake of putting down the bottle.

alt text

Additional hangover cures

1) Alleviating nausea: Green tea gingerale

Although some of the most common symptoms are a headache and sensitivity to light, nausea can also be an issue in some cases. Sipping on gingerale soothes the stomach to help alleviate nausea whether you’re hung-over or sick with the flu. While it is the ginger that helps with these symptoms, choosing green tea gingerale is an lighter option to settle the stomach than the original Canadian Dry.

A natural anti-acid, bananas are also useful for soothing nausea, as well as regenerating your body’s supply of potassium that is usually left depleted after a night of drinking.

2) The triple threat: water, coffee, O.J.

It has been recognized in recent years that coffee is not the ideal cure; the classic triple threat does offer three elements that are essential to easing a hangover. One cup of coffee is enough to offer (temporary) rejuvenation of energy and, when paired with water, does not pose the threat of dehydration. One glass of orange juice (if it’s the real deal) contains your recommended daily dosage of vitamin C which will boost your immune system and stimulate you liver to break down the alcohol left in your system.

3) Replenishing salt: pickles

Eating mineral rich food like pickles or canned fish is recommended because they are high in sodium. If you would like to try something different from the typical sports drink, the Polish swear by pickle juice because the salt from the pickle replenishes electrolytes in the same way as Gatorade.

4) Replenishing vitamins: B complex vitamin

Some people argue that the best way to cure a hangover is to prevent it. Because going back in time is not an option, taking a B complex vitamin before going to sleep after a night (or day) of drinking is the next best thing to reducing a potential hangover. B complex vitamins will help your body metabolize the alcohol while you sleep and restore energy for the morning.