F ā€˜nā€™ M entertains and gives back

Fashion ā€˜nā€™ Motion, WLUSUā€™s annual dance and fashion show, has become somewhat of a tradition at Laurier.

Initiated in the 1990s as a fashion show held at the Turret, the show has gradually incorporated a greater dance element and taken the stage of the Theatre Auditorium.

ā€œThis year our show was called ā€˜Dare to Dreamā€™,ā€ producer Joanna Burke told The Cord.

ā€œWe wanted to incorporate something to give the choreographers room to work with what they had ā€¦ so different aspirations, different things they could think of, things they experienced.ā€

The show ran on Friday and Saturday night, plus a Saturday matinee, this past weekend. Given the theme, the showā€™s numbers included a group number about a nightmare, an all-male performance about a ā€œdream girlā€ and transitions about making dreams come true.

These, among others, contributed to an entertaining though fairly predictable show.

With its many participants delivering larger numbers, a few smaller numbers would have broken up the performances nicely and highlighted individual talent.

But there were other elements that provided variation throughout the show, like a vocal performance, the surprisingly concise fashion portion and a lovely speech from the showā€™s charity awareness co-ordinator Kelly Verberne about the charity to which the funds of Fashion ā€˜nā€™ Motion are donated.

ā€œThis year what we chose [as our charity] was the St. Maryā€™s Hospital Cardiac Care Center. They have a bunch of different programs that help to rehabilitate people who have had cardiac problems,ā€ explained Burke.

The money that ends up at St. Maryā€™s is determined by not only the showā€™s profit, but by other events that the group runs throughout the year.

In this way, Fashion ā€™nā€™ Motion is much more than a one weekend affair. Other charitable events include a 12-hour dance-a-thon, a Laurierā€™s Next Top Model contest focusing on the groupā€™s fashion component and a dance competition for a group to win a place in the show.

ā€œThere are a lot of people who have never danced before and a lot that have been dancing all their lives,ā€ said Burke. ā€œSo we have a good mix of people. Itā€™s really cool to work with all different abilities and challenge yourself as well.ā€

F ā€™nā€™ M is a great outlet for those who simply have a passion for dancing or fashion, though the dance element really took centre stage this year.

ā€œThe biggest thing we look for is the passion. So itā€™s not necessarily about being the best dancer, itā€™s about the experience,ā€ Burke continued.

ā€œItā€™s been an incredible experience and everyone involved has just done such an amazing job. Iā€™m so proud of them,ā€ she concluded.