Experimenting with risky fashion

For most of us, the idea of dressing nicely in – 27 degrees Celsius weather is a completely bizarre concept, especially, when we have a perfectly good Roots sweatpants calling our names.

However, just because comfort is key to getting through the blistering cold winter doesn’t mean that you have to dress like a contestant on TLC’s What Not To Wear. You still want to dress nice and make a statement this winter.

This is a time to experiment and be a little daring. Here are four fashion risks you can take that will spruce up your winter without taking away your comfort.

Bold lipstick

A nice lipstick is always enough to make any outfit pop.

I know, the first time you put on that fiery red or deep purple you may be taken off guard by the intensity of your new look.

However, it also will not take long for you to completely fall in love with this tiny change that draws attention.

What is so  great about a bold lipstick is that it can transform an outfit without changing any of the comfort factors.

Compliment an oversized knitted sweater, combat boots and leggings with a fierce red lip. This look is chic without trying too hard.

This is an inexpensive touch that you will not be able to live without during the winter season.

Printed boots

A lot of you may be getting sick of wearing your knee-high riding boots or black combat boots everyday, so a change will not be all that bad.

Printed boots, whether they are leopard print, floral or striped can give your outfit a complete 180 and turn bland into bang. These boots should be your next purchase.

Are you lost about how to rock these printed boots? Fear not, this look is nothing to be afraid of if you know how to pair them.

Match a pair of floral Doc Martens with a pair of black leather jeggings, a black chiffon top and an oversized printed circle scarf and you will be sure to look chic, stand out and most importantly, have dry feet.

A pair of bold boots is exactly what you need to fall out of the trap of wearing the same type of getup everyday.

Oversized jewellry

It is easy to forget how something as simple as an oversized gold chain necklace can make you feel like a brand new girl.

Some bold jewellry can be a great touch to spruce up your Friday night outfit or it can add a trend factor when matched with your favourite plaid shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and a black toque.

Some examples of oversized jewellry can include an eye-catching chain necklace, a large statement ring or a pair of large chandelier earrings. Remember, bigger is always better.

Whatever way you choose to swing it, just know that a little (or a lot) of jewellry can add chic to just about any outfit.

Thigh-high socks

For those of you, like me, who hate retiring their favourite dresses come the winter time but are also not willing to freeze your legs off — these are the perfect things for you.

Thigh-highs are ideal alternatives if you want to stay warm but also want to show a little bit of skin.

Thigh-high socks are a perfect addition to your wardrobe that can add a cool edge to an otherwise bare outfit.

If you are going out, a pair of black thigh-highs is a perfect accessory to a high-waisted, Aztec print skirt, a black body suit, leather jacket and a platform wedge.

If you pull off this look, you are bound to turn heads with thigh-high socks incorporated into your outfit, I promise.