Experiencing the arts at Laurier

On campus

Residence

Arts Laurier is an inter-residence program that provides an opportunity for first year students in residence to involve themselves in the arts while gaining leadership experience.

Whether you volunteer as a representative for your building or simply partake in the events hosted by Arts Laurier, the outcome will be rewarding.

For more info, check out your residence handbook or talk to your don.

Campus Clubs

Clubs are not only a great way to discover or further develop your talent in a certain aspect of the arts, but they are probably the easiest way to meet new people with similar interests and aspirations.

Whether you’re interested in fashion, videogames, cooking, photography or Broadway, there will most certainly be a club to spark your attention. Find out more about the clubs offered this year and how to join at the Get Involved Fair on Wednesday, Sept. 8 in the campus quad.

In the past, Laurier has played host to clubs such as the Artistic Alliance, Culinary Arts Club, Kult of Gaming, Laurier Musical Theatre, Photography Club, WLU Fashion & Lifestyle Society and Wilfrid Laurier Science Fiction and Fantasy Club, so don’t forget to check out these in addition to whatever new organizations Laurier has to offer in the 2010/11 school year.

Around town

Princess Cinemas

The Princess Cinema (Princess St.) and the Princess Twin (King St.) offer students an affordable way to view an array of both mainstream and independent films, as well as special festivals and director talks.

The C-Spot on campus sells discounted student tickets for Princess films, making it easy to plan a cheap, fun night out.

Starlight/Jane Bond

Starlight and Jane Bond are easily the best venues in Waterloo to see live music. Never ones to book disappointing acts, these jointly-owned bars also offer club nights with alternative music.

Some of the highlights from the months to come include WLU Student Night on September 24, Steve Earle on October 16, Wintersleep on October 19 and Jason Collett on November 10.

Orange Monkey

alt text

Located on Princess St., Orange Monkey sells some of the city’s best new and used music on CD and vinyl.

With fair prices and a wide selection of indie and alternative music, this shop is filled with hidden gems that will excite any music collector.

Centre in the Square

Host to some of Kitchener-Waterloo’s most prestigious acts, Centre in the Sqaure is a great place to indulge in everything from broadway musicals to arena rock concerts.

The venue will see shows like Legally Blond, Spamalot, Mamma Mia! and Spring Awakening come through town in the upcoming year, providing an outlet for any broadway fanatics to get their fill.

For more traditional theatre-goers, Helter Smelter and The Trudeau Stories will be showcased as part of the Great Canadian Play Series.

As for music fans, the line-up for the upcoming school year will feature concerts by Joan Baez, Bryan Adams, Joel Plaskett and Hawksley Workman.

Galleries & Museums

Robert Langen Art Gallery
Located on campus and featuring a variety of exhibits throughout the school year, the Langen Gallery is a great (and free!) way to explore art.

Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
A bit further away from WLU, but worth the trek, the KWAG has a great permanent collection in addition to new and exciting showings year-round.

Waterloo Regional Children’s Museum
Located in Kitchener, the Children’s Museum always has fun, interactive displays that provide education and entertainment for people of all ages.