Editor’s note: I want you

While most Laurier students are spending the beginning of their summer vacations sitting on patios drinking beer, the student volunteers and staff at The Cord have been hard at work to bring you the first issue of the year.

In case you didn’t know, Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications (WLUSP) operates with a new year beginning on May 1. That means that, on April 30, we said goodbye to old staff and said hello to the new new staff, like myself.

Shelby Blackley, the Editor-in-Chief before me, set the bar pretty high. She challenged her team to experiment with layouts and content. Together, we made changes that were necessary for us to remain up to date and reputable as a student publication.

We have a great newspaper and our website is the best it’s been in a long time.  A lot of that credit goes to Shelby and our team last year. I came into the position confident that nothing was broken.

My vision for this year, however, includes a great deal of volunteer engagement. Every year, The Cord offers Laurier students several opportunities and experiences that you can’t gain in the classroom. We help writers to become better writers, show photographers how to take better photos and challenge artists to produce better images.

But we aren’t just limited to writing, photography and drawing. Our web and social media team is expanding and we need all the help we can get.

The Cord is not an exclusive group of know-it-all journalists. We’re students, just like you and we found a place in the Laurier community to call home. We’re best friends. We’re a family.

Families are better when there are more people and I want you to join my family. If you don’t have any experience, that’s okay. None of us had experience when we started. We’ll help you. We’ll teach you. We need you.