COVID-19 updates and vaccine access Waterloo Region

As of Tuesday, Mar 30, Region of Waterloo Public Health reported 26 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total this month to 1,183. 

No new deaths were reported on Tuesday. There have been 242 COVID-19-related deaths in the region since the beginning of the pandemic. 

There are 299 active cases, with 25 in hospital and six people in intensive care units. 

16 active outbreaks were reported in Waterloo region, including regional hospitals and local schools. 

Ontario reported 2,336 cases, with more contagious variants of concern accounting for 70 per cent of cases. 

Data suggests that the third wave of COVID-19 cases are worse than second wave infections due to the prevalence of variant strains. 

According to Ontario’s COVID-19 science advisory table, the pandemic is “out of control” in the province and another widespread lockdown is being heavily encouraged in order to avoid the “dire” scenario that is predicted to develop over the next few weeks with increasing case numbers. 

Between Mar. 25 and –29, five students living in residences on the Wilfrid Laurier University Waterloo campus tested positive for COVID-19. 

All students are reported to be in self-isolation with each case managed by public health.

21 cases of COVID-19 were reported at the University of Waterloo and an outbreak has been declared at all on-campus residences.

The cases, which include variants of concern, have been linked to off-campus gatherings that consisted of Laurier students as well. 

As of Sunday, 10 per cent of the region has received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and over 14,000 people have received both doses. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford urged residents to not make plans for Easter this year in a briefing on Tuesday and cited concern over the growing number of individuals in intensive care units, specifically younger people. 

More information to come.