Laurier releases Special Constable Services survey

Wilfrid Laurier University released an anonymous survey in early March that was open to the campus community as an opportunity for people to share their thoughts and experiences with the school’s Special Constable Service.

The survey closed on Mar. 22, and is included in an independent, external review of Laurier’s multi-campus SCS.

“The goal is to improve the way in which Laurier’s Special Constable Service interacts with Black, Indigenous and racialized members of the Laurier community,” Laurier’s press release about the survey said.

“The information shared with the reviewers will shape findings and inform recommendations related to organizational structure, staffing, training, accountability and oversight. The reviewers will submit their report to the university in early spring 2021. The findings and recommendations will be made public on Laurier’s website,” the news release said.

The review of the university’s SCS was announced when Laurier launched its Indigeneity and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in fall 2020.

The plan focuses on multiple initiatives and strategies intended to enhance and improve equity, diversity, inclusion (EDI) and Indigeneity at Laurier.

“We believe the survey will identify our institutional strengths as well as opportunities for improvement,” Ivan Joseph, Laurier vice-president of student affairs said in an email statement.

“We are invested in gathering the feedback from our community and are committed to improving the services we deliver for all our stakeholders.” 

“The survey results will help to ensure we take a data informed approach to how we move forward to improve the student experience,” Joseph said.