Rising number of COVID-19 patients in ICU

Photo by Darien Funk

Region of Waterloo Public Health reported 103 new active COVID-19 cases as of Monday, bringing the current total to 905. The province recorded 2,578 infections in Ontario.

The latest COVID-19 numbers are updated each day by Region of Waterloo Public Health at 1:30 p.m.

Despite the number of new cases declining over the past few days, there has been a rise in hospitalizations.

Seven more people have been hospitalized, raising the number of people currently in hospital to 49, with 16 in intensive care units.

Daily case numbers have gone down since a record high of 203 in Waterloo Region on Sunday.

There are 48 active outbreaks in the region, with 21 in long-term care homes. A new outbreak was also declared at St. Mary’s General Hospital 3 East Unit.

Waterloo regional police have said there have been over 100 calls to the services switchboard last week regarding Ontario’s stay-at-home order.

Calls ranged from people who wanted to disclose their personal information and reasons for needing to leave their homes, to residents who had questions about lockdown guidelines.

Police are urging those with questions to visit the provincial government’s website for more information and clarification that may be needed.

Regional police will not be randomly stopping people walking outside or vehicles on the street to question their reasons for leaving their homes.

Police have asserted that enforcement related to COVID-19 infractions is intended for those who actively put members of the community at risk.

Forty-one per cent of COVID-19 cases in Waterloo region are believed to have been transmitted through close contact with 30 per cent through community spread, and the remaining numbers through outbreaks and travel.

So far, more than half a million Canadians have been vaccinated against COVID-19.

Vaccination programs have had to be revisited by all provinces after Pfizer-BioNTech informed Canada Friday morning that delivered doses over the next four weeks would be cut in half while the vaccine production factory in Belgium goes through upgrades.

The revised delivery schedule has not been posted to the public.