Cheer on WLU alum and contestant Serena Pitt at Students’ Union “Bachelor Night”

Photo by Darien Funk

During a time when we’re all in separate places, isolated from one another, The Bachelor is bringing Laurier students together.

Every Monday night from 8–10 p.m, the Students’ Union Bachelor Night event invites students to watch the show together on Zoom, creating a space for students to meet fellow Bachelor fans and chat about the show. 

As a part of this event, students also have the opportunity to participate in a Bachelor Bracket, where they can place their bets on which contestants will receive roses throughout the season for the chance to win $100 and the Golden Rose trophy.

Run by Kristen Gilmore, Students’ Union VP of programming and services: Brantford, this event aims to give students an opportunity to get involved in an online format, by bonding over the excitement of watching live television together. 

Despite the fact that students are physically apart, Gilmore believes that online events like this are effective because there’s a “unity that people are starting to feel by doing things together.” 

At the viewing party on Monday, Jan. 18, students got together to enjoy another drama-filled episode. A highlight of the night was when contestant Serena Pitt, a Laurier alumna, went on her first one-on-one date with Bachelor Matt James. 

As Pitt and James got to know each other over a charcuterie board on their picnic date, students in the viewing party were there to cheer her on.

Gilmore said that it has been very exciting to have Pitt on the show.

“We always try and do anything we can [to support Laurier alumna].” she said.

“[Pitt] just seems like she’s genuinely there to find love and just have a fun experience,” Gilmore said. 

Another key feature of this event is its ability to bring the Waterloo and Brantford communities together. Since the event is online, students from both campuses can attend the event together without having to worry about the logistical details of travel. 

Events with both campuses are something that Gilmore says the SU’s Programming and Services has “always talked about,” and is now made accessible through Zoom. 

Although Gilmore noticed at the beginning of the academic year that “not a lot of people felt comfortable to go onto Zoom,” she feels that as online delivery of programming has continued to improve. 

“It’s more socially acceptable to go to Zoom events,” she said.

Even as the planner of these Zoom events, Gilmore, who has experience with planning in-person events before the pandemic, has had to undergo her own learning curve. 

“When we switched to online, I completely had to change everything that I knew,” Gilmore said.

“My whole goal is just to go where people are,” Gilmore explained.

By meeting students with event ideas that they already have an interest in, such as watching The Bachelor, Gilmore believes that students will be more likely to want to participate in the Laurier community in an online format. 

“I think there’s a lot of feeling of community that can be felt online that we’re missing,”  Gilmore said. “I think the best part about Laurier is that sense of community.” 

Though our beloved Laurier community looks very different than it did just a year ago, there are still ways to get involved. Whether you’re a Bachelor superfan or a first-time watcher, don’t miss out on this chance to be a part of the Laurier community—and to cheer on our Laurier alumna, Serena Pitt, on the show.
Students can join the Students’ Union Bachelor Night every Monday from 8-10 pm using the Zoom ID 968 0956 5941. You can also join their Bachelor Bracket by filling out the Google Form here.