Chair, vice chair chosen at meeting for directors-elect

The chair and vice-chair of next year’s Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union board of directors were elected at Thursday’s board of directors-elect meeting. Matt McLean was elected chair and chief governance officer and Colin Aitchison was elected as vice chair.

This was the first time the 2014-15 directors gathered at the board table since their election into the positions last week.

While McLean and Aitchison are both returning directors having sat on the board this past year, the other 13 directors are new to the position. After his nomination, McLean was asked how he plans on dealing with having a “fairly young board” next year.“In terms of working with you guys, I think once again it comes down to training … that you understand your role and to make sure that you’re here to do a good job, which I’m sure you are,” McLean responded.

He explained that one thing he has been considering to help with their transition into the roles is holding a mock meeting. This way, directors will “come into [the positions] knowing how the process is going to go.”

When questioned following his nomination, Aitchison noted that the fact that he already has a good working relationship with McLean will help in the rapport between chair and vice chair.

“I feel I can help bring that sense of experience,” he said during his opening statement.

The term for the director-elects will begin on May 1.

“Thank you all for being here,” McLean said following the meeting. “This is going to be a great year.”