Canada’s Women’s National Soccer Team books ticket to Paris 2024  

Two soccer players. One of them has the ball

The Canadian Women’s National Soccer team has officially qualified to defend their Olympic gold medal at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. The reigning Olympic champions and 10th ranked team won their CONCACAF Olympic qualifying match against the 37th ranked Jamaica side 4-1 on aggregate, securing their spot in Paris 2024.   After a difficult 2023 season, tainted by a discouraging elimination from the FIFA Women’s World Cup group stage in July, this victory was especially satisfying. On Sept. 26, Canada overcame Jamaica, 2-1, in the second leg of the qualifier at BMO field in Toronto. Jamaica capitalized first in the match, scoring off a free kick in the 33rd minute. However, it didn’t take Canada long to rebound, scoring 6 minutes later off a corner kick that was headed in by Cloé Lacasse.  

Moving into the second half of the match, Jordyn Huitema secured the game winning goal with another header that found the back of the net in the 50th minute. 

The victory served as a pivotal moment for the group after their disappointing World Cup performance, and it proved to be even more memorable while winning at home. The Canadian team expressed their gratitude for having a sold-out BMO field, filled with supporters cheering them on. “It was extra special. I had my parents in the crowd. My mom, bless her heart, she always cries but today she was crying a little extra,” said Lacasse. 

“To be able to go back to the Olympics and defend our gold medal, it’s everything we wanted and hopefully [we can] just go to the Olympics firing, ready to bring home another gold medal.” Adriana Leon said.  

Looking forward, the team is proud to carry the Canadian crest on their jerseys and defend their Olympic Gold title in July 2024.