Canada in brief: May 30, 2012

Air Canada 777 makes emergency landing
Pieces of metal fell on cars near Pearson International Airport on Monday afternoon and police believe the debris came from a disabled jet. Const. George Tudos of the Peel regional police said that investigators know of at least four vehicles that were hit by pieces of metal the size of a cellphone around 2:30 p.m.

While there were no injuries, witnesses reported seeing a plane with smoke coming from its engine shortly before the calls of falling debris began. According to an Air Canada spokesperson, the plane had to land soon after take off when it lost an engine. The cause of the engine shutdown is unknown and the police cannot be positive if the debris is from the plane yet.

Postmedia will stop some Sunday papers, cut jobs
Postmedia Network Inc. will be stopping many of its Sunday papers and has announced plans to cut an unspecified number of jobs in an effort to fight declining ad revenue.

Like it has for the last four years, the National Post will put its Monday edition “on vacation” in addition to local papers in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa losing their Sunday edition.

With internet properties and foreign-owned digital companies taking most of the country’s advertising revenue it is becoming harder for Postmedia to attain advertising revenue.

Postmedia plans to find ways to cut down cuts and will expand across all digital networks in order to stay current and always have news available.

– Compiled by Yvonne Lemieux