Broadway you can enjoy without breaking the bank

Photo by Luke Sarazin

It’s no secret that musicals – while infinitely enjoyable – aren’t always entirely accessible.

Pricey tickets and out-of-town shows mean that often times you’ll be missing out. However, that doesn’t mean you need to fall into a musical melancholy. I’ve put together a list of musical soundtracks that will make you feel like you are right there in the nosebleed seats.

Come From Away

This Canadian musical is based on the true story of the people of Gander, Newfoundland, who hosted displaced persons after the events of 9/11. This musical is Tony-nominated and the emotional soundtrack flows in such a way that you don’t need to have seen the show to understand what is going on.

Kinky Boots

Also based on a true story, this musical follows a young British man set to inherit his father’s failing shoe factory. To get more business, he starts making shoes for a drag queen named Lola and her company. With music written by Cyndi Lauper, this musical is a big ball of fun with some great tunes that will be stuck in your head constantly.

Next to Normal

A highly emotional rock musical about a dysfunctional family. The musical addresses issues such as grieving, drugs, suicide, as well ethics in modern psychiatry. The mother has severe bipolar disorder and vivid hallucinations of her dead son. The daughter is isolated but is a talented musician and the father just wants his wife to be okay. The unique story is full of moving musical moments that reminds you no one is alone.

If/Then

An entirely unique musical, If/Then is about the consequences of our decisions, telling a story with multiple different endings about a young woman who makes decisions that affect her life. This musical has wonderful songs that will have you singing along, and it also presents one of the most daunting realms that can be found on Broadway: reality.

Sunshine on Leith

The only jukebox musical that ever makes my lists; this is a Scottish musical using only music by The Proclaimers. You know that ‘500 Miles’ song? That’s them. This musical is wonderful, and the songs are incredible enough that you will no longer solely associate their authors with walking long distances. It’s a heartwarming story that will have you dancing around your bedroom for days.

These may not be the musical’s that have you dying to drain your accounts for a one-way ticket to Broadway. But, hopefully I’ve added to the repertoire of what you belt out during cleaning day.