Brenda Halloran re-elected Mayor of Waterloo

Incumbent Brenda Halloran has been unofficially elected as the next mayor of the city of Waterloo.

“I feel so honoured,” Halloran said, minutes after it was clear that she had been re-elected.

Hosting her campaign party for friends, family and supporters at Ali Baba’s Encore restaurant in Uptown Waterloo, Halloran watched Rogers TV intently as the results were slowly released starting at 8 p.m.

Following the announcement of her re-election, Halloran commented on the student voter turnout as she has been heavily involved with student initiatives during her time as mayor, including running a Mayor-student advisory committee.

“It was very hard getting the students out to vote, but the students are so important to this community and they play a big role in how we shape our future,” she said.

Halloran attributed some of her success in this election to the student vote.

“They’re supportive, they want to be involved in the community. They believe in Waterloo,” Halloran said of students.

Halloran’s daughter Elizabeth commented that she was glad to see so many of her peers voting in the election and supporting her mother’s campaign.

“It’s very important that we as young students get involved in the community,” said Elizabeth Halloran.

Excited to get back to working with the students of the region, Mayor Halloran said she plans on using the “buzz” from the election to garner student involvement.

“We’ll be able to get more students engaged because there’s probably a bit of excitement and a buzz on both campuses,” she said. “I can’t wait to get back to working with students.”

“It couldn’t be a better story for me right now.”

Halloran won with 12,247 votes, with Jan d’Ailly following with 7,092; Dale Ross and Franklin Ramsoomair had 5,466 and 1,987 votes respectively.