BREAKING: Kitchener-Waterloo MPP removed from PC caucus amid sexting allegations

Kitchener-Waterloo Member of Provincial Parliament Michael Harris has been removed from the PC caucus after an investigation revealed  he had sent a number of inappropriate messages to a female intern.

In a statement released on Monday, Huron-Bruce MPP Lisa Thompson, who serves as chair of the caucus, announced that Harris had been removed from the caucus and disqualified from running in the upcoming election over “text messages … of a sexual nature” which were sent to a female intern in 2013.

The messages included requests for photos, an invitation to meet up as well as “a discussion of potential part-time employment” between Harris and the unnamed intern.

Thompson said that officials in the party were made aware of the allegations after being presented within a written complaint from the intern.

According to CTV, Thompson said Harris was questioned about the allegations and responded by denying that a ‘formal’ complaint had been filed.

This update comes just days after Harris announced that he would not be running for office in the upcoming June election due to an eye condition which required surgery.

Harris has not yet responded to any media requests, including a request to provide comment to The Cord.

More information to come.