Bingemans hosts annual Gift of Lights display

Photo by Will Borys

Bingemans is kicking off the holiday season with the second annual Gift of Lights.

The exhibit is southwestern Ontario’s largest drive-thru holiday light display.

Visitors can enjoy a vast array of mesmerizing lights spread out over two kilometres, featuring a 200-foot light tunnel with over 30 full light static and animated holiday displays.

The venue is located at 425 Bingemans Centre Drive in Kitchener.

“Last year the event was extremely well received by everyone in the region, we had people coming from all over including Toronto and London,” Penny Swinston, special events manager at Bingemans, said.

“It was a huge hit last year, so this year it’s bigger and better.”

Gift of Lights opened this past Friday, Nov. 17 and will carry on through the holiday season, concluding on Jan. 6, 2018.

The hours of operation are from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m., Sunday through Thursday, and from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

A portion of all ticket proceeds will be donated to Grand River Hospital.

The Bingemans Gift of Lights will be extending their hours on Dec. 24 until Dec. 30, staying open from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. to accommodate the high seasonal demand.

“On our busiest nights we see over 1100 cars drive through and that’s just between the hours of 5 p.m. and 10 p.m.,” Swinston said.

Gift of Lights is a cheery holiday experience for all ages, friends, families, couples, groups and corporate events, explained Swinston.

To add to the festivities, guests will be able to listen to holiday music from the comfort and warmth of their own car by tuning into Gift of Lights Radio at 100.1 FM.

“We have had busses come through already this year with various groups including retirement homes and schools. They purchase a bus and ticket online before hand and all they have to do is show up,” Swinston said.

“We have a special line just for buses and limos.”

To save the hassle of purchasing tickets at the gate, Gift of Lights now takes online payments prior to entrance at a reduced cost.

For a single vehicle with up to eight, passengers guests have the option to pay 18 dollars online or 25 dollars at the gate.

For larger groups, they offer vans that carry nine to 15 passengers and limo busses that hold upwards of 16 passengers.

“It’s big savings for everyone, I highly recommend purchasing tickets online,” Swinston said.

Due to the popularity of the event, Gift of Lights now offers a speed pass, which will secure guests’ entry through a priority access lane.

This can be purchased online for only eight dollars and is available in order for viewers to avoid long lines.

Before or after Gift of Lights, guests may choose to visit Bingemans FunworX Indoor Playland, or grab a bite to eat and bowl at Boston Pizza Kingpin Bowlounge.

In addition, attendees can buy a multi-ticket package that enables them to go to the lights display and enjoy several times over the holiday season.