Bettina Boucher receives a one year suspension for violating doping regulations

Wilfrid Laurier University’s middle-distance and cross-country runner Bettina Boucher has been handed a one-year suspension for violating doping regulations.

On March 28, 2018, the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced that there was ephedrine, a stimulant that can boost a runner’s capabilities, found in Boucher’s urine in January after a tournament in Windsor.

Although the use of a certain amount of ephedrine is allowed in competitions, Boucher’s use exceeded the maximum of ten micrograms per milliliter.

Bettina Boucher was a big part of the Hawks cross-country and middle-distance teams in the 2017-18 season and it will be interesting to see how the Hawks will perform without their best runner next year.

However, the CCES also discovered that the drug use was connected with a medical condition, it was not performance related.

The original suspension for Boucher was a two-year ban, but it was reduced to one year due to the fact that this is Boucher’s first suspension, and also because she is not an international or national athlete.

“Each athlete is educated on what they take now. In this instance, due to the circumstances, the CCES took into account the information [Bettina] provided and that reduced her suspension based on her situation. Nonetheless we support the CCES’ decision,” Peter Baxter, director of athletics at Laurier, said.

Boucher’s suspension will now last until Feb. 3, 2019, which means that she will miss most of the major track and field tournaments for the Hawks next year.

“Bettina has taken full responsibility for what she put into her body.

There were some other circumstances in and around it. We’re providing support to her based on her situation. It’s something she’ll learn from and move on,” Baxter added.

Bettina Boucher had an impressive 2018 season for the Golden Hawks. Boucher exceeded all expectations at the cross-country OUA championships, finishing twelfth in the individual standings, while also being named a second-team all-star.