Battle of Waterloo ends in 1-1 draw for Golden Hawks women’s soccer team and 1-0 loss for men’s

Photo by Tanzeel Sayani

Both of the women’s and men’s Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks soccer teams competed in the Battle of Waterloo Sunday afternoon, with the women securing a point in a 1-1 draw while the men suffered a tough loss of 1-0.

The women kicked off the afternoon with their match, with a scoreless first half thanks to tough play from both sides, resulting in 11 shots from Laurier in the first half and six from the Warriors, yet none finding the back of the net.

Just over 20 minutes into the second half, Waterloo striker Alaiyah Wilson would score an unassisted goal to give the Warriors the first goal of the game and the lead.

Laurier would not go down without a fight, as less than eight minutes later the purple and gold’s leading scorer and 2018 OUA second-team all-star Gagan Parhar would find the back of the net which would be the final goal in the game, leaving the match a draw.

The men took the field shortly after the end of the women’s match, looking to improve their record to 2-4-2. The match got off to a quick start as Warriors striker Luka Frankovich found the back of Laurier’s net just four minutes into the match.

Despite efforts from both sides of the field, Laurier could not find a goal of their own even while defending Waterloo’s 14 shots and sending 16 of their own. The loss puts them at 1-5-2 on the season and let the Warriors even the Battle of Waterloo to 2-2-1.

Both teams will play one more match in the Battle of Waterloo for the season on Friday, Oct. 4,with the women’s team kicking off at 6:00pm and then men’s team starting at 8:15. With a win from each team, the purple and gold have a chance to get two wins ahead less than a week before the football team’s matchup on Oct. 10.