Basketball Hawks score huge upsets

On Saturday night in Windsor, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks basketball teams shocked just about everybody.

First, the women’s team upset the number three nationally ranked Western Mustangs in their Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West semi final. And just a few hours later, the Hawks’ men’s squad pulled off an upset of their own, knocking off the Windsor Lancers, the nation’s eighth-ranked team, in their provincial quarterfinal.

In the women’s game, the Hawks dominated the fourth quarter, outscoring the heavily favoured Mustangs 28-16 to pull off the 76-74 win. Fourth-year Christa Mancino led the charge for the Hawks, putting up 18 points, followed closely by fifth-year Renata Adamczyk who had 17.

The win marked the first time all season the Hawks had beaten the Mustangs and lifts the purple and gold to the OUA West finals versus the Windsor Lancers, which will take place in Windsor on Sunday, Feb. 27 at 4:00.

In their upset win, the male Golden Hawks were also able to top an opponent who had gotten the better of them in the regular season. In two contests this season the Lancers had notched wins by scores of 77-66 and 109-76 over the Hawks. But on Saturday night, the purple and gold stuck with the powerful Windsor team and scraped out an 85-82 victory.

Second-year Max Allin picked the perfect time for a career night, scoring 36 points to lead the purple and gold over the Lancers and into the OUA semi finals. The Hawks’ semi final match-up has yet to be determined, but the game will be Friday, March 4 as part of the OUA Final Four, hosted by McMaster.

Look for the full articles in Wednesday’s issue of The Cord