Bag o’ Crime: Oct. 26, 2011

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Oct. 17 at 3:04 a.m.

A custodian called the SCS Dispatch Centre to report the theft of a large blue portable recycle bin taken from the hallway outside of Wilf’s Pub. She witnessed two males pushing it in the vicinity of Albert St. & University Ave. The theft was captured on CCTV cameras providing an excellent description of the suspects. WRPS was notified and attended to a Lester St. address when a night manager observed the two suspects attempting to bring the bin into a building. The bin was located outside by SCS officers by Conestoga House. It sustained damage in the process of being moved. The matter is presently under investigation by SCS and WRPS.

Suspect Descriptors:

1. Male, Caucasian, medium build, dark brown short hair, clean shaven, early 20s, 5’ 10”, 170 lbs wearing a black long sleeve shirt with ‘FITCH’ on the front in yellow, light blue jeans and white shoes.

2. Male, black, thin build, short black hair, unshaven, early 20s, 6’, 170 lbs wearing a blue long sleeve V-neck shirt with two shades of blue horizontal stripes, dark blue jeans, and white shoes.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Oct. 17 at 4:20 a.m.

A custodian called the SCS Dispatch Centre to report the theft of an automatic floor cleaner that was taken from the Terrace Food Court in the early morning hours. The piece of machinery was located abandoned sometime later in the 24 Lounge. It had sustained some damage to it. The CCTV cameras were reviewed and it shows suspect #2 described in the previous incident for the theft of the recycling bin pushing the machine through the Lounge. The matter is presently under investigation by SCS.

Unknown Call Requiring Police Assistance

Location: Off campus

Reported: Oct. 18 at 11:57 a.m.

SCS officers on mobile patrol assisted a local resident on Larch St. attempting to catch his dog, a 14-year-old Chow Chow who was running freely on the sidewalk in the neighbourhood. The animal was eventually cornered and turned over to the owner.

Graffiti

Location: Residence

Reported: Oct. 19 at 11:09 p.m.

A SCS officer on mobile patrol discovered some graffiti in the underground parking garage at the student residence. Sometime in the past 24 hours person(s) unknown had used a black marker and written the following inscription on a white cement pillar in parking spot #72: “JAYARS Btec?” Photos were taken and a work order sent to Physical Resources to remove the writings. CCTV camera footage is being reviewed for possible suspects.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Library

Reported: Oct. 20 at 2:43 p.m.

SCS is investigating the theft of a student’s property from the fourth floor of the library. The property is described as an Apple iPod touch phone, “Beats by Dre” headphones and a pair of black shoes. She had left her belongings with three well-known friends and asked them to leave it with her friend on the fifth floor. The property has since gone missing. The friend never received it.

Intoxicated Person

Location: Off Campus

Reported: Oct. 22 at 1:30 a.m.

SCS responded to a call of an intoxicated female passed out at the front of 200 King St. N. The female was located by Quiznos Sub, 220 King St. N. She was identified as a 22-year-old WLU student. She was taken home by two of her sober friends.

Drugs

Location: Residence

Reported: Oct. 22 at 2:04 a.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a complaint of suspected drug usage. Two male students were dealt with and admitted to having smoked a joint outside of the residence. No marihuana or drug paraphernalia was located inside the room. Both students will be dealt with by Residence Life staff for the narcotics violation.

Property Damage

Location: Quad

Reported: Oct. 22 at 5:22 a.m.

Sometime during the early morning hours person(s) unknown uprooted a freshly potted mum flower beside the marble bench that seats the newly sculpted Sir Wilfrid Laurier statue. The flower remnants were strewn about the area of the Quad. The statue was not damaged. CCTV camera footage will be reviewed for possible suspects.

Observation

Location: Student Services Building

Reported: Oct. 21 at 5:20 p.m.

A SCS officer while waiting in the Dining Hall food line observed a female customer in front of her continuously was eating some almonds from a clear plastic bag. At the checkout the remaining contents were weighed for a price check. The female identified as an 18-year-old student was spoken to about her actions, which were tantamount to theft. She was admonished and the situation was corrected with the cashier for the proper amount.

Liquor Offence

Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Oct. 22 at 10:49 p.m.

Three males were observed on CCTV cameras consuming alcohol on the second floor in the hallway outside of Wilf’s Pub. They were located by SCS officers in The Turret Night Club. They were all identified as 19-year-old WLU students. This matter will be sent to The Judicial Affairs Council for the offence of consuming open liquor in a prohibited area.

Drugs

Location: Residence

Reported: Oct. 23 at 1:55 a.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a complaint of suspected drug usage in one of the student’s rooms. A small quantity of marihuana and drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. An 18-year-old male student and a visiting 18-year-old female student will be dealt with by Residence Life staff for the narcotics violation.

Assist Other Service

Location: Residence

Reported: Oct. 23 at 2:59 a.m.

While an SCS Officer was dealing with an injured/sick person in the stairwell of a residence parking garage, an On Duty Don approached the officer and informed him that an unknown male was currently in the underground parking garage with a weapon, confronting four other unknown males. WRPS was requested, and subsequently arrested the male for possession of a prohibited weapon and uttering threats.

Drugs

Location: Quad area

Reported: Oct. 24 at 3:36 a.m.

While on mobile patrol of Mid Campus Drive, SCS Officers observed a male resident student smoking a joint on the picnic table outside in the Quad area. A male had a clear mason jar full of marijuana beside him. The male was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and taken to WRPS North Division for processing.