Bag o’ Crime: Apr. 4, 2012

Assistance Call from Public

Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Mar. 26 at 3:40 p.m.

SCS received a report of a theft of a Blackberry Curve 9300. The complainant had been working in the Concourse near the Hub desk and left the item unattended on a table for two hours. He later notified SCS that the blackberry had been returned to him by a friend and no theft had taken place.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Mar. 26 at 8:35 p.m.

SCS is investigating the theft of a skateboard in the FNCC. The complainant believes he may either have left it at Williams Fresh Café in the Food Terrace or somewhere in the Concourse. The skateboard is described as black with long board wheels. It has a logo similar to a Jack Daniels whiskey label on the bottom. It has the letters CK in silver paint on top and a silver coloured fish symbol as well. There are no suspects.

Assistance Call from Public

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 27 at 2:26 p.m.

A Special Constable was requested to attend a to residence room by the Residence Life staff to assist with the formal eviction of a 19-year-old male Laurier student. Proper documentation had been served on the student. The eviction went without incident.

Injured/Sick Person

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 27 at 6:11 p.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a call for medical assistance. An 18-year-old male student was treated for a cut on his right hand after coming in contact with a ceiling vent. He was taken to Grand River Hospital by a friend for further treatment.

Fire

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 28 at 2:06 a.m.

SCS officers responded to a kitchen fire at a residence. Upon SCS arrival a small stove fire had been extinguished. Waterloo Fire Dept. attended as well and vented the area and cleared the area of smoke and allowed the students to return to the residence. The cause of the alarm was determined to be from excessive smoke from someone cooking and poor ventilation. There was no damage or injuries to report.

Injured/Sick Person

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 28 at 1:08 p.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a report of a female having fainting spells. She was identified as an 18-year-old Laurier student who had suffered several fainting spells that afternoon. She was taken to Grand River Hospital by SCS for observation.

By-Law Complaint

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 28 at 12:17 p.m.

Officers attended a noise complaint by Residence Life staff at a residence. The occupants of one of the residence rooms were talking loudly and it was disturbing the residents. The group was asked to lower their voices. They complied. No further action was required.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: WLU Library

Reported: Mar. 28 at 2:46 p.m.

A male Laurier student reported his laptop stolen by person(s) unknown from the fifth floor of the library where he had been studying. His work station had been left unattended for approximately 10 minutes. CCTV video footage will be reviewed for possible suspects in the area at the time.

Property Descriptors: ‘Apple’ MacBook Pro 13” screen, silver in colour.

Unwanted Person

Location: WLU Library

Reported: Mar. 28 at 4:50 p.m.

SCS officers responded to a call of a person sleeping under the concrete porch outside the WLU library. Upon arrival the officers found a male sleeping on the ground. The male was identified as a 25-year-old transient. He was escorted from campus and verbally trespassed from all WLU controlled properties.

Suspicious Person

Location: WLU Library

Reported: Mar. 29 at 1:58 a.m.

Library staff reported an unidentified suspicious male who was observed using a computer on the third floor. He appeared to be “chatting” with a younger female on a video chat program. Apparently he had also been observed the previous day but it had not been reported. He was last seen leaving the library at approximately 2:10 a.m.

Description: Caucasian male, 6”, 180 lbs, longer dark hair down to his neck and approximately 35-45 years of age, wearing black pants, dark hat, black jacket and was in possession of two knapsacks.

Library staff was advised to contact SCS if they saw the male again.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Dining Hall

Reported: Mar. 29 at 11:30 a.m.

Dining Hall staff reported an unidentified male who attempted to steal food from the food service area. Four large take out containers had been filled with food not paid for and left to be picked up. A suspect was seen in the immediate area but left without taking the items with him. His image was captured on CCTV cameras. The matter is under investigation by SCS.

Suspect Descriptors: The male is described as East Indian descent, mid-twenties, 5’ 10”, medium build, with short black hair and wearing a blue jacket, red scarf, black pants and shoes.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Science Building

Reported: Mar. 29 at 3:07 p.m.

A WLU student reported the theft of her bicycle from the bike rack on the south side of the Science Building. The bike is described as a blue coloured SC1800 Supercycle. There are no suspects.

Intoxicated Person

Location: Student Services Building
Reported: Mar. 29 at 11:41 p.m.

SCS encountered an 18-year-old intoxicated female lying on the ground in the Quad. She was identified as a WLU student. She was taken home to her residence by a Residence Life staff member. The matter will be dealt with by the Judicial Affairs Council.

Fire

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 29 at 11:30 p.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence at a residence in response to a small grease fire that had ignited on a stove. Upon their arrival the fire had been extinguished with a fire extinguisher. There was minor damage to the stove and no injuries were reported. The residents were temporarily relocated until the area was cleaned by Physical Resources staff.

Drugs

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 30 at 2:45 a.m.

SCS attended to a residence after receiving a report of suspected usage in one of the rooms. A small amount of marijuana and some drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. Residence staff will be dealing with all seven students that were involved.

Property Damage

Location: 81 Lodge Street

Reported: Mar. 30 at 5:10 a.m.

A Physical Resources employee reported to SCS that a WLU service van in the parking lot had the passenger window broken out sometime during the night by person(s) unknown. The van was unlocked at the time, but nothing was reportedly taken. CCTV footage will be reviewed for possible suspects.

Theft Under $5,000

Location: Frank C. Peters Building
Reported: Mar. 30 at 12:20 p.m.

A female student reported that she left her Laurier One Card in the building, and reported it stolen when it couldn’t be found. She checked One Card usage online and found that someone had used her card for a transaction in the amount of $15. The matter is under investigation by SCS.

Assistance Call from Public

Location: Student Services Building

Reported: Mar. 30 at 9:15 p.m.

A WLU student attended to the Special Constable Service Dispatch Centre seeking legal advice regarding a personal matter with an ex-partner. She has been receiving unwanted attention on her blackberry’s social websites from this individual. Advice was given regarding the possible implementation of a Restraining Order and to seek further advice from WRPS.

Drugs

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 31 at 12:01 a.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a complaint of suspected drug usage in one of the rooms. A small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. Three non-WLU males were issued written Trespass Notices and evicted from the premises. The male student occupant of the room will be dealt with by Residence Life for the narcotic violation.

Drugs

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 31 at 11:36 p.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to a call of suspected drug usage in one of the rooms. A small amount of marihuana and drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. The 18-year-old female occupant of the room will be dealt with by Residence Life for the narcotic violation. The guest, an 18-year-old male Burlington resident was issued with a written Trespass Notice and barred from entering any WLU controlled property.

Liquor Offence

Location: Schlegel Centre
Reported: Mar. 31 at 1:30 a.m.

SCS officers on patrol encountered two 19-year-old male students inside one of the classrooms viewing private videos using the classroom’s AV equipment. They were also found to be consuming alcohol. One of the males was issued a Provincial Offence Notice pursuant to the Liquor Licence Act for ‘having liquor in an open container in other than a licensed premises, residence or private place.’ They were both sent on their way.

Disturbance

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 31 at 3:49 a.m.

SCS officers attended to a sixth floor lounge in the student residence in response to a disturbance taking place between several males. All was quiet upon SCS arrival. It was determined that several students had engaged in a verbal altercation concerning an intramural soccer game played the evening before. It then turned physical. No injuries were reported and no charges were proceeded with. The matter will be dealt with internally by Residence Life staff.

Assist Other Service

Location: Residence

Reported: Mar. 31 at 6:13 a.m.

SCS and WRPS officers attended to the student residence in response to a 9-1-1 call from a female about her having been followed by someone from a downtown bar. It was determined that the allegation was false. The intoxicated 19-year-old was identified as a student and transported home to her proper residence.

Intoxicated Person

Location: Residence
Reported: Mar. 31 at 10:15 p.m.

SCS received a report of an unconscious and unresponsive female in the hallway of a residence. SCS officers attended and were advised that the female was found in the DAWB had been taken back to the residence. EMS was dispatched and the female was transported to Grand River Hospital for assessment.

Assist Other Service

Location: Off Campus

Reported: Apr. 1 at 3:11 a.m.

SCS were requested by WRPS Dispatch to attend to a report of an intoxicated male climbing a construction crane in a construction site off campus. SCS officers attended, and detained the individual until WRPS attended a short time later. The U of W student was issued a Provincial Offence Notice under the Trespass to Property Act by WRPS.

Property Damage

Location: Lot 3

Reported: Apr. 1 at 12:30 p.m.

SCS investigated a report of a parked vehicle having been damaged sometime overnight. Person(s) unknown had kicked a dent in the passenger side of the 2003 Toyota Echo. There are no suspects.