Laugh with the Back of the House podcast

If you’re a foodie with a love for stand up comedy, the Brothers DePaul’s new podcast Back of the House may peak your interest.

If you’re a foodie with a love for stand up comedy, the Brothers DePaul’s new podcast Back of the House may peak your interest. The hour-long podcast about food and comedy delves into recipes of delicious meals and takes you straight into the minds of today’s up-and-coming comics.

Wilfrid Laurier University alumnus Chris DePaul and his brother Miles began the podcast as a venture to blend their love for comedy with their love for food.

“We love podcasts,” said Chris DePaul. “We thought, ‘Lets try doing one ourselves.’ Why not give it a try and lets try to have a conversation with comics that are rooted in our love and appreciation for food.”

To make things more interesting the meals are chosen and prepared by host Mike Christie.

“What we began doing was reaching out to comics and asking them to come over to our house, where Mike will prepare a meal for them that is in someway significant to their life,” said Miles DePaul.

“Mike would reveal what the significance of the meal was and that would act as a launching off point to interesting conversation.”

Certainly, Back of the House presents a unique perspective on food by connecting it to the comedian. But the choice to have an audio-based cooking show is a unique twist to a podcast because you don’t get the chance to see what is being prepared.

“The conversation that happens over food is often the most riveting,” said DePaul.

It complements the title of the podcast, as it feels like a tap into two friends having a meal and free-flowing conversation.

“Right now we go to comedy shows across Toronto and Kitchener and the experience is pretty well the same. So maybe you’ll grab a drink maybe you’ll get some fries, and that’s awesome.”

At first the thought of incorporating a cooking show with a comedy talk show seems a bit unorthodox, but that’s what makes the podcast especially engaging.

It is not a show with stand-up acts, but rather a chance to get to know comedians on a more personal level.