Anti-lockdown protestors return to Waterloo Town Square for second weekend in a row

File photo by Eva Ou

On Sunday, April 25, hundreds gathered in Waterloo Town Square to take part in an anti-lockdown rally.

This rally comes after one that occurred on Sunday, April 18, which also drew hundreds of protestors. 

Reports say that the Sunday event was meant to be a show of support for local businesses who were forced to close under the latest COVID-19 restrictions.

Under current provincial restrictions, Ontarians are being instructed not to gather outdoors with people outside their household.

“We are aware of the planned rally for Sunday and in partnership with WRPS, we will respond as required,” Nicole Papke, director of municipal enforcement services for the city of Waterloo said in an email statement prior to the rally. 

It has been reported that the number of attendees declined this weekend compared to last. Municipal bylaw enforcement and WRPS are ready to address any future events, should they appear. 

A separate rally to protest lockdown restrictions occurred in Stratford this Sunday afternoon as well. 

In an email statement, Cherri Greeno, manager of corporate communications and public information for the WRPS informed The Cord of the COVID Integrated Response Team (CIRT), launched on April 25, which will address violations under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) and the Reopening Ontario Act (ROA).

The team will work in partnership with bylaw and enforcement partners across the region on various COVID-19 violations, such as “attending large gatherings risk spreading COVID-19 and place a significant strain on our public health system.”