Alternatives to partying on St. Patricks Day

Another Saint Patrick’s Day is upon us, and the COVID-19 pandemic continues to fester during its celebrations. 

Our beloved street party on Ezra Avenue will not be taking place for a second year, but that doesn’t mean St. Patrick’s Day is a bust altogether. 

Whether you are celebrating with the members of your household or with a few friends over a video call, try some fun alternatives to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day that are COVID-19-friendly.

Make your own Shamrock Shakes!

Every year, McDonald’s runs out of its specialty Shamrock Shake. To avoid disappointment, go online and find a recipe to make your own! This is a great tasty treat to share with your household or post to your Instagram story.

Compete in a Wikipedia race to Saint Patrick 

The traditional Wikipedia race involves clicking on Wikipedia’s “Random article” button and using only five clicks to get to Jesus. 

Since it’s St. Patrick’s Day, share your screen with your friends and try to find Saint Patrick instead. You can also try virtual scavenger hunts and trivia to connect with your friends online this year.

Learn the history of Saint Patrick and why he is commemorated

While you’re on Wikipedia, take a closer look at Irish history to learn about Saint Patrick and St. Patrick’s Day. 

Why do North Americans celebrate an Irish holiday? Is it just an excuse to get drunk? Probably, but should we rethink celebrating a holiday if it doesn’t align with our beliefs?

Drink Guinness or make green cocktails

Perhaps you are only celebrating St. Patrick’s Day for the booze. 

To feel more festive on another booze-driven holiday, try the Irish beer Guinness, or mix green food colouring with your favourite cocktails. Don’t forget to stay hydrated, but splash some green food colouring in your water to look the part.

Make a traditional Irish meal

There has been a strong uptake in cooking while people have been spending more time at home. If you’re someone that likes to be adventurous in the kitchen, check out some classic Irish recipes for a celebratory meal. Irish stew and soda bread would be great for the chilly weather!

Watch an Irish film—or anything with Liam Neeson

Celebrate the Irish by watching Irish movies or movies with Irish actors. Watch some Irish movies or anything with Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronan, Cillian Murphy or Michael Fassbender, to name a few.

Learn an Irish dance for your TikTok

The TikTok dance craze could reach new levels this St. Patrick’s Day if you and your household decide to learn and record yourselves doing an Irish dance. Remember to tribute the dance by giving credit to the Irish tradition—don’t steal the dance moves for yourself!

Go green and pick up litter this St. Patrick’s Day

While picking up garbage technically has nothing to do with St. Patrick’s Day, its iconic green is a good reminder to keep our planet the same colour.

Take a garbage bag and a pair of gloves when you head out for a walk and pick up any litter you see. It may not be the most luxurious way to celebrate, but the planet will thank you!

Invest in gold

While staying at home, more and more people have taken up amateur investing. Act like a leprechaun this St. Patrick’s Day and invest in some gold. Or maybe just set aside a “pot of gold” (a jar of money) to save up for something you want.

Find a four-leaf clover

Do you think you can find ones of the  rarest leaves on the planet? They may feel next to impossible to find, but you can always fish them out of your Lucky Charms or make some with coloured paper. Stay busy with some clover celebrations this St. Patrick’s Day!

Whether or not you are a fan of getting black-out drunk on Ezra, I hope everyone chooses to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day safely and within the jurisdiction of the COVID-19 bylaws. The pandemic is (hopefully) not forever, but new traditions can be!