Acclaimed Soprano performs at WLU

There are times when Laurier’s music program can come across as Kitchener-Waterloo’s best kept secret.

Seemingly hoarded to one small section of WLU’s modest campus, it can be forgotten at times how fortunate we are to have a music program that garners as much national attention as ours.

Last Friday, the Maureen Forrester Recital Hall was graced by Canadian soprano Karina Gauvin.

A bright light on the Canadian classical music scene, Gauvin has won two Juno awards as well as being nominated for many others.

She has also sung with the Chicago symphony and has performed live at Carnegie Hall.

Like the other shows in this series, the performance was free and open to the public, having been sponsored by MWM Financial Group.

It was delightful to see so many people from so many different backgrounds all in attendance.

Gauvin was accompanied on the grand piano by one of Wilfrid Laurier’s own, Leslie De’ath.

The music that filled the recital hall was not only technically brilliant on all levels, it was exciting.

Gauvin sang a number of songs in at least three languages, and despite the obvious concentration required, she still seemed to be completely within the moment for every verse.

Gauvin sang with incredible fluidity, expressing the emotions within the music.

It was a testament to how long she has been performing and how dedicated she remains.

Gauvin received a standing ovation, which was followed by three breathtaking encore songs.

It didn’t take a music student to marvel at how her voice carried over the audience, both in the powerful notes, and the ones that had barely reached a whisper.

These world class performances sponsored by MWM are open to the entire community, whether Laurier attendees or not.

Even those unfamiliar with classical or operatic music are strongly urged to take the time to check up on the events hosted by the Faculty of Music.

If Gauvin’s performance from Friday evening is any reflection of the series’ calibre, it won’t be a night you’ll forget any time soon – an uncommon thing to say in regards to the evening exploits of most university students.