2024-25 STUDENTS’ UNION ELECTIONS: CANDIDATE PLATFORMS

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

Josh Aube 

Hi, my name is Josh AubĂ©, and I am a 4th year kinesiology student. I am running for Students’ Union president with the main goal of improving the student experience across Laurier’s campuses and make sure all Laurier students have an opportunity to enjoy a safe and fun university experience. I plan to achieve this goal by committing to running programming on homecoming to provide a safe and fun alternative to unsanctioned street gatherings. Additionally, I plan to work closely with campus partners to ensure the Students’ Union is committed to the best possible sustainability and equity, diversity, and inclusion practices as well as providing students with accessible and easily understandable resources for mental health, renters rights, and legal rights. Finally, I plan to ensure that all Laurier students can access Students’ Union events and resources regardless of what campus they are on by organizing busses to shuttle students between campuses. If my initiatives align with your values and beliefs, vote for Josh AubĂ© for Students’ Union president in the 2024 election. For more information about my platform, check out my campaign Instagram page @votejosh4supres. 

Vishesh (Vish) Verma 

Hello, I’m Vishesh Verma, also known as Vish, a 4th-year Physics major and international student running for SU president. 

First and foremost, financial literacy is my top priority. I’ll work to introduce initiatives that promote financial literacy, ensuring you feel confident navigating the financial aspects of academic life. 

Your well-being is also a significant focus. Recognizing the challenges of university life, I am committed to implementing programs that support your mental and physical health. 

As an international student, I bring a unique perspective to the table. I’ll tirelessly work to ensure that every student’s voice is heard and represented, promoting EDI within our university community. 

To learn more about my platform and vision, visit my official campaign page on Instagram @vish4wlusupres or meet me at my campaign booths on the Waterloo and Brantford Campus! Let’s come together to make a lasting impact on our campus. Your input is invaluable, and I am here to represent you! 

Sebastien Corrie 

Hi Golden Hawks, my name is Sebastien, and I am running to be your 2024/2025 Students’ Union President. Through this campaign, I want to address seven (7) main themes across the Students’ Union and Laurier. 1. Improving students’ recognition of, and engagement with, the Students’ Union. 2. Improving the accessibility of supports and services on campus. 3. Highlighting the advocacy work done by the Students’ Union, and the Government & Stakeholder Relations department. 4. Promoting EDI practices to ensure that students feel safe and secure on campus and throughout the broader Laurier community. 5. Highlighting the hidden strength and potential of the Brantford campus and giving it what it needs to thrive. 6. Highlighting the Milton campus to ensure the best experience possible for the incoming class. 7. Working with Greek Life organizations, and Greek Life Council to explore, and work through our recently signed MOU. My priority is to make sure that all students have the best experience that they can at Laurier, in their own unique way. To learn more about my platform, head over to my Instagram, @Seb4WLUSUPres. 

Ben Jesseau 

For those of you who might not know me, my name is Ben Jesseau and I am excited to be running to be your next Students’ Union President! During my time at Laurier, I have done a lot to connect myself to the Golden Hawk community, including working with the Department of Residence, the Lazaridis Students’ Society, and recently working as an AVP on the SU Executive team – all of this has really connected me with the Laurier community & developed my passion for supporting every Golden Hawk! My platform is focused on the idea of enhancing your student experience, and our campus community – with 3 major pillars: supporting & promoting student leadership, building a stronger campus community, and enhancing student experience. Overall, my goal as President would be to work on behalf of every Laurier student and fight for what you want to see – so if you ever have any ideas or just want to chat about something, feel free to stop me on campus or shoot me a message! If you want to learn more check out my full platform at http://tinyurl.com/ben4supresident

BOARD OF DIRECTOR CANDIDATES – WATERLOO

Gabrielle Russo 

Student Union Elections 2024-2025

Hello everyone!  

My name is Gabrielle Russo, and I am a third-year political science and criminology student seeking re-election to the Students’ Union Board of Directors. As a current director it is a privilege to represent students, and it would be an honour to continue to improve the student experience at Laurier through transparency and accountability. The reasons why I ran for the board last year and again this year is to ensure student mental health and wellbeing remains a priority, to improve campus safety by listening to student concerns, and to continue building a sense of inclusion and community between Brantford and Waterloo.  

My commitment is to the students, and I will continue to be an engaged and motivated director who ensures the best outcomes for students on all campuses.   

Anya Russolo 

My name is Anya Russolo, I am a first year International Education Studies student, and I am seeking a first-time election into the Student Union’s Board of Directors. Through my roles in Arts Undergraduate Society, and International Education Studies Students Association, it shows that I am passionate to represent and fight for the student body. Through my leadership I have shown the ability to work collaboratively and to deal with conflict. I hope as a Board member I can continue to take action and be a voice for my fellow students. I’m here for YOU, vote today for a better tomorrow. 

Devananda Nakshatra 

Hello Golden Hawks! I’m Devananda Nakshatra, a second-year Computer Science student, and more importantly, a dynamic candidate ready to bring a fresh wave of positive change to the Laurier community. Two years ago, as an international student arriving in Canada, I found myself in a world that initially presented challenges. However, my commitment to being more than just a student led me to become actively involved in the Laurier community. Today, having held positions of a Residence Life Don & Impact Coach, and being a committed member of various clubs at Laurier, these experiences have equipped me with a deep understanding of the needs and aspirations of my fellow Golden Hawks. 

If elected, my focus will be on improving student wellness communication and access, boosting club engagement through increased incentives, and establishing transparent channels for students to voice their feedback to the Students’ Union on various aspects of Laurier life. I am committed to ensuring that your needs are not just heard but prioritized in discussions with the university. Together, let’s shape a Laurier experience that truly reflects the collective voice of our student body. 

SENATE CANDIDATES

Jiha Arshad 

Hello students,  

I am Jiha Arshad, a second year Honours Science student and new member of the Student’s Union Senate. As a fellow student, I understand the frustrations that you all may be facing in your academics and university life. With my position, I hope to be able to establish changes in the delivery of courses, class materials and the offering of additional course supports that are accessible and beneficial to all.  

Along with being a full time student, I am a Residence Life Don. In this position, I often hear about the individual struggles that students are confronted with. It will be by using this information that I obtain to create ideas and solutions to the obstacles that may be standing in the way of a fulfilling university journey.  

I look forward to working for you all and being able to deliver a true Laurier University experience. 

REFERENDUM CHAIR CANDIDATES

Emily Kogan 

My name is Emily Kogan. I am a third-year communications major and am currently the head instructor for the recreational dance program. I am the referendum chair for the Athletics and Recreation Facilities Fee. I support this fee because students deserve more space and students deserve better space. My role as referendum chair is to inform students about the immediate benefits, short-term projects and long-term vision for this fee. This fee will be used to enhance and improve existing amenities and create new amenities focused on fitness, sport and activity. Students will see immediate benefits beginning this fall which include fitness centre and changeroom upgrades and new study areas in the Athletic Complex as well as year-round field access through a winterized bubble at University Stadium. Short-term projects include the construction of a multi-purpose student building designed with all students in mind. The intent of this fee is for it to continuously improve student amenities on the Waterloo campus as our community continues to grow. As a dance instructor since my first year at Laurier and active member of the recreation community, I hope to demonstrate the positive outcomes of this fee for all students. To learn more, visit our website at goldenhawks.blog or follow us on Instagram @goldenhawklegacy.