Your time at Laurier will benefit you in the long run

Graphic by Kash Patel

Every new year in Waterloo ushers in a new dusting of snow and the return of thousands of Golden Hawks to the nest. For some, it’s one of many winter semesters and for others, it’s a first.

But no matter what stage you are at, rest assured, your time at Laurier will follow you, long after you hand back your cap and gown at convocation. I know this much, because it rings true for me almost everyday.

I arrived in Waterloo, a bright-eyed and ever-hopeful 22 year old looking to continue my education after spending four years studying politics and sociology at the University of Toronto.

A graduate degree in politics seemed like the logical choice — I enjoyed reading, writing and defending my opinions. But most notably, the university was ready to foot the bill.

As a graduate student, I had the opportunity to develop and create an original piece of writing. I choose to examine the relationship between political issues, prominent media outlets and think tanks.

Despite living in two different cities, we continually make the effort to keep up-to-date on the events happening in each other’s lives. We make periodic trips to visit each other in Waterloo whenever we feel the slightest pinch of nostalgia.

As part of my research, I spent months and many agonizing hours coding and content analyzing newspaper articles. Little did I know, all of that effort would help me down the road.

My solid understanding of media outlets has helped propel my ability to build relationships with reporters and secure coverage for a host of clients I work with daily.

Before I even made the leap into public relations, I had already begun exposing myself to certain elements of PR while studying at Laurier. I held tours to prospective graduate students, showcasing what the department and campus had to offer.

Without even knowing it, I was positively contributing to the institution’s brand. I was essentially pitching, something I do almost every day to prospective journalists across the country.

Not only has being a Golden Hawk helped my career, but it has also impacted my personal life. One of my former colleagues who worked alongside me through all of the late nights at the DAWB, trying to complete our statistics assignments (for the record Dr. Perrella, I still don’t understand syntax), is now one of my closest friends.

This friendship has helped me through some of the toughest moments in my life and without a doubt will continue well into my golden years.

So, to all of the Golden Hawks returning to campus and to those who will spend a great deal of time waiting at Wilf’s to be served, why not take this opportunity to reflect on what you’ve achieved and what’s yet to come.