Women’s hockey team remains undefeated

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s hockey team is firing on all cylinders and it’s showing with a 13-0-0 record.

Their offence has been lethal – they have the second most goals scored in the entire league and have outshot their opponents almost every game.

Their defence has been impenetrable. The Hawks have allowed just nine goals in 13 games thanks to a solid defensive core, unbelievable goaltending and a superior penalty kill.

To most, it would seem that everything is clicking for the Hawks; however, head coach Rick Osborne said that there is always room for improvement.

“I’m really proud with the way our penalty kill is working right now,” he said. “But I’d like to see our power play capitalize a little more often.”

The Hawks started off the weekend by defeating the Windsor Lancers on Saturday night.

Despite their 5-9 record, the Lancers gave the Hawks a tough fight. Team captain Andrea Ironside scored the lone goal of the game as the Hawks won 1-0.

Sunday’s matchup was against long-time rivals the Western Mustangs. It was a gritty affair, but the Hawks came out on top 4-1.

Laurier received goals from veterans Kate Psota, Katherine Shirriff and Laura Bartolini, as well as rookie Devon Skeats, who notched the second goal of her Laurier career.
Rookie goalie Kristen Kilgallen also showed off her skills as she stopped 13 of the 14 shots she faced, making several outstanding saves.

“[Kilgallen] proved tonight that she can play with the top dogs,” said assistant captain Stephanie Crarey. “And she did so definitely by saving us many times tonight.”
According to Crarey, the rookies are proving that they are here to win.

“Coming in they had big shoes to fill and they have definitely done so,” she said. “We can’t complain. Those girls have done awesome for us so far and I think they’re going to continue to do so.”

The number-two nationally-ranked Hawks embark on a road trip this weekend where they will face the Queen’s Gaels and the UOIT Ridgebacks.
These will be the team’s final games before the holiday break.