Women’s fast-pitch improves to 12-0

The Wilfrid Laurier women’s fast-pitch team continued their dominance this weekend, sweeping a double header against Queen’s to improve their record to 12-0 on the season.

Laurier beat Queen’s 7-3 and 9-1 on Sunday afternoon with the second win coming on the strength of a six-inning gem tossed by Katie Westoby. Westoby was mowing down Queen’s batters with serious efficiency as she struck out 9 batters and gave up only 1 run.

Laurier will look to continue their winning ways on Thanksgiving weekend, as they will be hosting the 2009 Canadian Intercollegiate Women’s Fast-Pitch Championship in Kitchener at Peter Hallman Ballyards.

Although the league is not sanctioned by Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and there are no official rankings, Laurier is definitely seen as a powerhouse and a top three team, which leads to some serious expectations by fans, coaches and the players themselves.

Third-year catcher Lisa Andreana feels Laurier can “bring home the gold.” She also feels that the team’s well-rounded talent will help the team prevail this year.

“We came second last year so that added experience will definitely help us this year,” said Andreana.

This sentiment was echoed by assistant coach Matt Allen.

“We’re definitely going in with high expectations of coming away with a gold medal and I think that’s the girls’ plan so we are going in for gold.”

To win nationals, Laurier will have to get through undefeated Western.

Western, like Laurier, is considered one of the top teams in the country and are currently 14-0. The two teams play each other in the first game of the National tournament.

Laurier will be sporting pink jerseys at Nationals in order to raise both money and awareness for breast cancer research.