Women’s basketball loses first round against Windsor Lancers 82-76

Hawks eliminated from OUA playoffs against Lancers

Photo by Kevin Jarrold/The Lance
Photo by Kevin Jarrold/The Lance

The Wilfrid Laurier women’s basketball team had their season end last night, losing to the Windsor Lancers in the first round of the Ontario University Athletics playoffs by a score of 82-76.

In what was a close lead from the very start, the Hawks looked to reverse their previous fortunes against the five-time Canadian Interuniversity Sport champions, and took it to them in the first half. Kaitlyn Schenck was the Hawks leading scorer with 19 points, while Sarah Dillon, Nicole Morrison and Courtney Bruce also hit double-digit figures with 17, 17 and 14 respectively.

The two teams kept the battle close by nailing everything behind the three-point line. Dillon nailed three of her 17 points from beyond the arc in the dying seconds of the second quarter to take a 42-40 lead into halftime. One of Laurier’s keys to the game is their three-point game, which clicked, connecting 11-out-of-24 times — good for 45.8 per cent throughout the game.

But the Lancers eventually grinded their way back. They took the lead in the third quarter, but held on with a shallow advantage. The game was tied eight times and the lead changed a total of 14 times. With the offensive power of Emily Prevost, who scored 21 points on the night, the Lancers held onto a three-point lead going into the final quarter.

Windsor pulled away in the fourth, gaining as much as an eight-point lead with two and a half minutes to go in the contest. Laurier pulled within six points, but could not keep up, dropping their third consecutive game against the Lancers in single digits.

For seniors Heather Payne and Courtney Bruce, this was their final game with the Hawks. Everyone else could return next season.