WLU labour talks in second day of mediation

Representatives from Wilfrid Laurier University and the Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association (WLUFA) are in the process of meeting for the second consecutive day of mediation.

The two sides are looking to end a contentious bargaining period by agreeing upon a new collective agreement for the university’s full-time faculty. This includes full-time professors and full-time library staff.

Feb. 29 and March 1 were the only two days scheduled for negotiations with a ministry of labour-appointed mediator, though it is possible that more mediation dates could be added if a deal is not reached.

Should there be no decision made after today’s talks — which could go late into the night — a strike or lockout is not automatic. The university and WLUFA will not be able to legally institute a work stoppage until 12:01 a.m., March 3.

According to the university, both sides have agreed upon a media blackout until a decision has been made.

The last work stoppage at WLU came in March of 2008 when 365 Contract Academic Staff (CAS) members — part-time professors, teaching assistans — went on strike. That labour disruption lasted 18 days.

The Cord’s previous coverage of the negotiation process

Strike watch (Feb. 29, 2012)

Labour talks fall apart (Feb. 15, 2012)

Faculty unhappy (Feb. 1, 2012)

WLU back to the bargaining tables (Jan. 11, 2012)

Check back with thecord.ca later tonight for an updated story and follow @cordnews on Twitter for updates as they happen.