Winning streak continues with homecoming game

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks are 4-0 after defeating the University of Waterloo Warriors 68-7 this past Saturday for the annual homecoming football game.

The Golden Hawks wasted little time in this one with Eric Guiltinan getting the game’s first touchdown less than three minutes into the game.

Guiltinan did not stop there, as he carried on to score four touchdowns and rush for 176 yards.

The offence was lead by the rushing game where the Golden Hawks bolstered 440 rushing yards between eight different players

The first quarter ended 23-0 and the remainder of the first half was an offensive showcase for the Golden Hawks, as they went on to score 53 of their 68 points in the half and didn’t look back.

“In the second half, it’s kind of common nature, you take your foot off the pedal a little bit. You’re getting some of the younger guys in to the game, but I’m proud of our team effort,” head coach Michael Faulds said.

Michael Knevel also had an impressive first home outing throwing 14 for 21 which was good for two touchdowns and 199 passing yards.

“[Knevel] played really well. He didn’t really show any nerves. He stepped up and played great,” Guiltinan said.

When asked about his own performance on the day, Guiltinan added, “the O-line played well, the full-backs played well, the gaps were there I was just hitting them.”

Knevel also spoke about his impressive performance this past weekend.

“I felt pretty confident. I got to play in the Carleton game and I think shook a lot of the jitters out of the way,” Knevel said.

Faulds was very happy with the day’s outcome.

“We played really well and clean football the first half…I’m proud of our team effort,” he said.

In addition to impressive performances from Guiltinan and Knevle, Laurier star Kwaku Boateng also had an impressive day getting his 18 career sack that resulted in a safety, while also becoming the team’s all-time sacks leader.

Faulds did not seem surprised that Boateng had achieved this major accomplishment and milestone in his career.

“He is an unbelievable leader for us. It’s kind of very fitting that he does it and gets a safety on the play. He’s just an outstanding leader for us, a great student and I’m happy for him,” Faulds said

The rest of the defence didn’t sleep on this game either as they held the Warriors to only 21 rushing yards on the day.

Boateng and the rest of the Golden Hawks are already focused on their next game against the Western Mustangs.

“Mentally and physically we just can’t seem to dominate them for some reason…we’ve got some work to do but right now I think we’ve got the chemistry and the players to change our recent history there,” Boateng added, confidently.

Faulds also expressed how important the Golden Hawks next game against Western is and what it means for his team moving forward.

“It’s definitely a team that’s been the class of this league for a while and if we’re going to make some real noise, we know we have to beat a team like that,” he said

Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. this Saturday at TD Stadium, London.

The Golden Hawks will look to slay their demons and beat the Western Mustangs for the first time in over 10 years.