While you were out…

Kelsey Tikka represents Canada
During July, women’s soccer defender Kelsey Tikka headed to Russia to participate in the Summer Universiade. Tikka was the only player from the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West division, and one of five players from the OUA. Canada finished pool play with a 1-2 record, which sent them to the consolation. After finishing 2-1 in consolation, the team finished with a 3-3 record overall, good enough for 10th place in the tournament. Tikka played in all six of Canada’s games, starting five of those matches.
– Reported by Ashley Denuzzo and Shayne McKay

Hawks participate in East West Bowl
This past May, Golden Hawk football players Jeremy Deneau, Mike Massel and Tyrrel Wilson participated in the East West Bowl in London, Ont., a chance for CFL scouts to see seniors. The Hawks represented the West in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), which pulled out their first win in three years, winning on a last-minute field goal 18-17.
– Reported by Shelby Blackley and Wesley Taylor

Anthony, Dell selected in CFL draft
Receiver Alex Anthony and fullback Isaac Dell were selected in the fifth round of the CFL draft in May. Dell was selected 37th overall, first in the fifth round to the Hamilton Tiger Cats, while Anthony was selected two selections after, 39th overall, to the Saskatchewan Roughriders. After suffering a concussion, Dell opted to return to Laurier for his fifth year, while Anthony stayed with Saskatchewan as part of their practice roster.
– Reported by Shelby Blackley, Justin Fauteux and Eric Thompson

Lester named to All-American team
For the second year in a row, Laurier women’s hockey captain Fiona Lester was named to the Capitol One All-American College Division at-large team. Lester is only the second player from Laurier to ever be named to the team, following Dillon Heap in 2010. This caps an outstanding tenure at WLU, including two OUA championships, two OUA first team all-star honours and three CIS academic all-Canadian honours, as well as being named Outstanding Woman of Laurier (OWL) last March.
– Reported by Shelby Blackley

Campbell wins bronze
In June, men’s basketball head coach Peter Campbell helped Canada’s cadet team win a bronze medal in the FIBA Americas Championship in Uruguay. Campbell was offered a mentoring role with the team, which allowed him to offer extra assistance to the coaches as well as talk and support the players on and off the court. Canada went 3-0 in pool play and defeated Puerto Rico to claim the bronze.
– Reported by Shelby Blackley

Waterloo hosts LPGA
From July 11-14, for the second year, the LPGA Manulife Classic shined in Waterloo, bringing with it a community of golfers and spectators to Grey Silo golf course. Hee Young Park took home the victory, along with a cheque for $195,000, in a dramatic playoff finish against Angela Stanford. The tournament brought in 145 competitors, 1,200 volunteers and thousands of spectators over the five-day affair.
– Reported by Shelby Blackley and Ashley Denuzzo