Waterloo gears up for the holidays

Whether it be cocoa and marshmallows, the smell of pine or watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas, there are several traditions that when performed instantly trigger anticipation for the holidays. This year Waterloo hopes to propel excitement forward by holding several events within the community.

Feel free to dash through the snow on one horse open sleigh as there will be horse drawn trolley rides through the snow-covered Waterloo Park on Dec. 8 and 15. The park will be decorated with the annual Christmas light display and the rides are approximately thirty-five minutes long, so don’t forget those mittens. Best of all, the trolley rides are free.

Stay warm this winter with hot yoga. Moksha Yoga is supporting the giving spirit and encourages everyone to stay healthy this holiday by attending a free class between Dec. 1 and 7 with a donation of three or more non-perishable food items for the Waterloo Region Food Bank. Keep in mind that hot yoga is a great way to stay active and keep off the holiday pounds for those of you who don’t like the chilly weather.

Turn the burden of holiday shopping into a fun experience and find a unique and low budget gift for everyone. The City of Waterloo is giving the opportunity for creative gift giving and is holding a Christmas Craft Sale at the Adult Recreation Centre on Saturday, Dec. 3. There will be something for everyone and all proceeds from the sale will go towards City of Waterloo Senior Services and Adult programming.

Nothing spreads holiday cheer better than the synchronized voices of carolers dressed in full Victorian garb. Come to Waterloo Public Square at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 9, 16 and 22 to be serenaded, just be prepared to have Silent Night stuck in your head well into the New Year.

Tracy Suerich, the public square and open spaces program coordinator, emphasizes the importance of participating in holiday events in the community. “In the case of university students it is so easy to go four years and stay on campus but there is whole wide community out here and a bunch of different people to meet so these sort of things bring everybody together,” she said.