Vulgar cheer hurts SMU

St. Mary’s University Student Association President Jared Perry has stepped down since the incident. (Contributed photo by Michael Langlais)

HALIFAX (CUP) — Jared Perry, the SMU student under fire after the inappropriate frosh chant that has been causing a stir nation-wide, has resigned his post as president of the Saint Mary’s University Student Association (SMUSA). The announcement was made via a press release.

Vice president of student life Carrigan Desjardins has also resigned her position. Desjardins was the SMUSA executive who was in charge of Orientation Week and the event at which over 80 leaders and 350 or more new students were singing an offensive chant.

A video was posted on Instagram of students chanting “Y is for your sister, O is for ‘oh so tight,’ U is for underage, N is for no consent, G is for ‘grab that ass,’ – Saint Mary’s boys, we like ‘em young.”

The university announced simultaneously that disciplinary action has been called for against two student leaders involved with the frosh week chant. Those names have not been released, in line with university policy.

The students will go before a disciplinary panel (as in keeping with the Code of Student Conduct) within the next 10 days. Disciplinary action is wide-ranging, from fines to expulsion from the university. The panel is comprised of a disciplinary officer, a student and a university administrator.

Any member of the Saint Mary’s University community — student, faculty or staff —can call for disciplinary action against another.

Perry announced his intention to run again in the by-election that is to be called by the Board of Directors, and says he is “personally deeply committed to addressing the damage incurred this week by being part of a long-term change commitment.”

Desjardins could not be reached for comment.

James Patriquin, the student poised to take over the position of vice president of university affairs after the resignation two weeks ago of the former VP, says he had not signed a contract and started the position, and for the moment will be retaining his role as Communication Co-ordinator of SMUSA. When asked if he will run for the role of president, Partriquin said no, saying that he is “committed to supporting Jared in his next campaign.”

It is unknown who will fill the role of interim president; a decision will be made by the Board of Directors of SMUSA.