Volleyball team sweeps weekend

After starting their season with a loss to the Western Mustangs two weeks ago, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s volleyball team went 2-0 over the weekend.

The Hawks picked up a pair of 3-1 wins in matches against the Lakehead Thunderwolves on Saturday and the Windsor Lancers on Sunday.

“I think it was very important for us to show up and win two matches this weekend,” said head coach Luke Snider. “After losing our first match [in the season], I thought we had shown some good signs, but overall the inconsistencies were the reasons we lost [two weeks ago?]. This weekend we were hoping to come in and show some improvement and hopefully [the wins] were a sign of some even better things to come.”

This season, the Hawks have a very inexperienced team, with seven new players coming on to the roster. As a result, it will take time for the team to come together.

“[Team chemistry] is always a challenge at this early point in the year, it’s definitely going to take some time for the team to gel.

“Having seven players on the team who weren’t here last year has made that an even larger challenge, but I think we’re handling it really well and I only expect it to improve as the season goes on,” said Snider.

Last season was the first time since 2000 that the Hawks failed to qualify for the playoffs; despite the team’s inexperience, Snider is confident about their chances this season.

“This year we’re even younger than we were last year, but our talent level is as great as it’s ever been,” said Snider. “We’re certainly going to keep on improving, but our overall goal is still to make playoffs and anything less will be a disappointment.”

The Hawks currently sit at a record of 2-1 and will continue their season today in St. Catherines against the Brock Badgers.