Unsigned: Self-care is the most important aspect when you’re sick

It’s that time of year again; noses are running, there’s a chorus of coughs and the “Laurier plague” is a common topic of conversation.

Is your perfect attendance record really worth it when you’re sick?

There’s an anxiety that comes from both staying at home and from going to class.

If you stay home, it feels like the end of the world. If you get behind, it’s harder to catch up.

If you do go to class, it feels like you’re disturbing everyone around you. You run the risk of getting others sick as well.

Our suggestion? Self care is always the most important aspect of your life.

Communicate with your professors. Chances are, if you have a good standing in their class, they’ll be willing to accommodate you. Just try talking to them and building a trusting relationship.

Even if they aren’t willing to accommodate you, the worst they can do is say no. A “no” from a professor is a lot easier to deal with than bronchitis from pushing yourself too hard.

Get your illness checked out by a professional if something doesn’t feel normal. The Wellness Centre is always a great first step, but if you’re not comfortable with that, you could always visit the hospital or one of the various walk-in clinics in the area.

All of this goes for your mental health as well.

The decision to stay home can be even harder when there are no visible signs of an illness.

Beyond the stress aspects, it can be harder to physically know your limits. While your roommate may have an easier decision if they’re throwing up from the flu, it can be difficult to pinpoint where the limits are inside your own head.

No matter your reason for considering staying under the covers, your health and wellbeing are most important.

Though we don’t condone skipping class, taking sick days are a part of every career — even that of students.