The importance of overcoming presentation anxiety

Graphic by Kash Patel

On Spotted at Laurier, I frequently see posts where students detail the anxiety they face when giving a presentation or attending a class.

As a person that is prone to overthinking and worrying, I can sympathize with their position. Few people enjoy coping with anxiety induced by factors imposed upon them.

In the short-run, dealing with anxiety brought about from classroom demands may feel unnecessary and something worth avoiding. However, dealing with it now will make one stronger in the long-term.

Public speaking and classroom participation can, in some cases, be legitimate fears. Although I have not experienced massive anxiety from these activities myself, I can completely understand how they can place a person under enormous pressure.

Unfortunately, the workplace will be no better for your anxiety than university is. You could be required to give lengthy presentations to stakeholders or perform ad-hoc projects where you have no clue where to begin. Trust me, your employer will not go out of their way to assuage the sources of your anxiety. It may be tough, but it is reality.

University is the bridge to the modern workforce. It is here where we are supposed to be given the skills to excel in a field of our choosing. Employers are seeking educated workers that are able to articulate themselves competently. Universities would be doing their students a tremendous disservice by caving to student fears and exempting them from anxiety inducing experiences.

I think this will be one of the greatest challenges facing universities going forward. We have witnessed a dramatic change in the university-student relationship in recent years. If universities have implemented safe spaces to “protect” students from “harmful” ideas, how much further will they go?

There are those exceptional cases where people are absolutely petrified of public speaking. This can be symptomatic of a larger issue, and therapy and medications exist that can make a world of difference.

This is not saying that universities should go out of their way to incite anxiety, but they should at least recognize that anxiety is a normal, healthy component of the educational process.

The inclination to coddle and accommodate can be beneficial in modest doses. However, these factors should not dictate the university-student relationship.

Learning occurs when we step outside our comfort zone, and that is exactly what occurs when an individual overcomes their trepidations to speak to a sizeable audience. When they speak to a group of shareholders or coworkers in the future, they will be much more prepared.

I believe that students should not look at presentations as an obstacle but rather as an opportunity. You have a captive audience  of students that are, most likely, bored out of their goddamn minds and waiting for the lecture to end. Add a personal flare and strive to entertain your audience. Your professor is probably tired of listening to cookie cutter presentations and your presentation could provide a change of pace.

This is at least how I approach presentations, but it does help in relieving anxiety. Everybody will have their own technique.

Fringe cases notwithstanding, students have the ability to reframe the way they see presentations and overcome their fears.

Avoiding classes that entail presentations is merely making a small problem larger. Essentially, the hurdle is only becoming taller.

Fears should be conquered at the earliest possible opportunity for maximum effectiveness. Your future self will thank you.