The Case Against Pot

Yes cigarettes and alcohol are worse, but those were also welcomed into society when the health risks were basically unknown. I feel most of these pot activists are just trying to justify their own illegal behaviour.

Most arguments in favour of legalization range from cliché to laughable, and the idea of legalizing cannabis runs contrary to their other beliefs. But before that point, I want to indulge myself in the more common arguments thrown out by the masses every time I state my opposition to the sacred cow that is legal weed.

“The war on drugs isn’t working,” cries the self-righteous stoner as he puts his bong down, ready to lecture me on the dollars spent trying to keep harmful drugs illegal.

I reply saying the reason the war on drugs hasn’t worked is because of him and millions like him.

When the war on drugs began in the 1970s, drug use was low compared to now. However, the demand for drugs increases as they became more culturally acceptable.

Essentially, I believe the war on drugs has failed because of those who champion legalization. If there were still a stigma against marijuana use, the number of users would be drastically lower.

The next clichéd remark that never ceases to arise is the classic “It’s my body and I can do what I want.” Well I see your moral relativism argument and I’ll raise you a consequentialist one.

The act of buying illegal drugs is funding the drug trade. Sure, most users who get high and lay on the couch aren’t violent criminals, but the actual drug trade is very different.

More so in the United States than in Canada, but when illegal drugs are purchased, it’s likely that the purchase is funding violence somewhere along the line.

Then comes the most backwards argument in the pack: “if we legalize it and tax it, the government can make a large profit.”

This is always a weird one to hear, because it’s shrouded in shortsightedness. We can tax it if we legalize it, but that fundamentally goes against why it’s illegal in the first place: we simply don’t want it.

I remember when the Left argued legalization was the only answer even though they didn’t “want” marijuana.

Regardless, it is funny that supporters of legalization all of a sudden care about paying taxes. If you actually cared about state revenue, you wouldn’t buy illegal drugs in the first place.

And when the idea of fining drug users instead of throwing them in prison is brought up, it’s frowned upon. That would generate state profit too.

Furthermore, just like with cigarettes, as the taxes go up the black market grows. Legalizing weed won’t eliminate the black market, but it will lend it camouflage to continue to sell drugs to any buyer.

Pot smokers have it pretty good in Canada. Most cops don’t care if you smoke, so what’s the problem?