Style on the slopes

Wintertime has approached us again within a blink of an eye. Individuals are forced to reacquaint themselves with their winter coats. A challenge that faces most Canadians is how to stay warm this winter while still trying to remain stylish. How can we turn heads while blocking the harsh temperatures? If these questions are yours, continue reading, as I will help point out inventive style tips that could help you avoid the icy fall into fashion disasters.

Great style on the slopes appears to be just as important as quality performance snowboards and skis. Technical advances have emerged to create more functional ensembles. New designs have allowed the wearer the convenience of transitioning comfortably into après-ski activities. Resort wear designers have managed to successfully close the gap between slope wear and street wear.

Since the snow is quite the white backdrop, resort designers are finding more and more ways to create outstanding patterns. The fashion of ski and board style represents an entirely different culture in the fashion industry. Often the designs are more outgoing than streetwear with the colour and fabrics of the slopes and high technology in dominance.

The skiers and boarders I interviewed at Whistler said that after hours of working a hard sweat on the mountain, they are ready to ditch the gloves, helmets and neck gators for something a little more lighter and sleeker. Before heading down to the village for some well-deserved snacks and drinks, individuals are paying close attention to great après-ski style.

After witnessing some loud and gregarious approaches to resort style (such as pink one piece suits and blue hair), there are definitely some key ways to display classy ensembles. Women can’t go wrong without a pair of basic black leggings, Nordic-inspired print sweaters and tall boots. Roots and TNA are great resources. Women never fail by donning a cashmere scarf. Faux-fur anything is a big trend for this fashion season. The top end designers such as Prada and Canada Goose sell their admired pieces in most resort towns.

For men, there has been a hot trend in colour blocking with strong hues. In the town of Whistler, British Columbia, men have been seen wearing oversized jackets with mixed colours and patterns. Resort fashion has the privilege of producing more avant-garde styles that the public accepts in normal, daily wear in cities. Strong metal zippers and hardware is also very stylish this season. Finally, men and women can never go wrong with a stylish pair of sunglasses. In fact, some of the resort styles and trends actually make their way to downtown wear, albeit more subdued.

There’s no better way to enjoy a winter wonderland than to dress stylishly and fabulously while hitting the slopes like a professional. If skiing isn’t your cup of hot coco, don’t fret! There are many other winter activities and with the proper warm fashion ensemble, you will look toasty no matter how low the temperature goes!