Students’ union charitable numbers released

Donations for the Wilfrid Laurier Students’ Union (WLUSU) committees were finalized and released today, with a final total coming in at $115,651.47. The number is a combination of donations given by committees Charity Ball, Shinerama, Boar’s Head and Laurier University Charity Kouncil (L.U.C.K.).

Vice president of clubs and activities Burton Lee credits last year’s volunteers for the rise in donations for the 2009-10 year.

“I really just think it’s people working hard,” said Lee, “When all the volunteers are as dedicated as they are good things are bound to happen.”

After some poor press as a result of low charitable donations in the 2008-09 year, many of the committees cut spending to ensure higher donations. Current WLUSU president Kyle Walker said that this year’s management team will follow last year’s precedent and ensure that all spending is critically analyzed.

“We always have to look critically at what we’re doing,” said Walker. “Volunteers and the management group last year did an exceptional job, especially under the spotlight they were put under.”

Cutting costs to ensure higher donations was also echoed by Lee, who said volunteers and coordinators of this years’ committees will work to feasibly cut costs and increase donations, while still planning events the Laurier community will want to attend.

Walker believes last year’s numbers will be the foundation that his team will be able to build upon to create a larger overall charitable donation in the upcoming year.

Lee also appears optimistic about this year’s possible donation.

“There’s no reason we can’t continue that success,” he stated.

Final numbers for each committee are as follows:

Boar’s Head Dinner: $562.24.

Charity Ball: $6,195.60

L.U.C.K.: $13,724.62

Shinerama: $95,199.01.