Sports in brief: Sept. 22, 2010

Kelly doubtful for Saturday

After dislocating his non-throwing shoulder in practice, Laurier quarterback Shane Kelly will likely miss the football team’s game this Saturday vs. the York Lions.

This is the second time Kelly will be sidelined this season, after a foot injury caused him to miss the Hawks’ week two game versus McMaster.

Back-up Evan Pawliuk who started six games last year should get the start in Kelly’s place.

Women’s soccer still perfect

Boosted by the return of Canadian national team member Alyssa Lagonia, Laurier’s women’s soccer team maintained their undefeated record over the weekend, improving to 5-0 on the season. The Hawks won a pair of road games, downing the Brock Badgers 3-1 and then the York Lions 2-1.

Laurier currently sits in top spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division, five points ahead of the second-place McMaster Marauders. The purple and gold also come in at number three in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) rankings.

The Hawks’ next action will come Sept. 22 at home when the Western Mustangs visit Alumni Field.

Men’s soccer drops two

The Golden Hawks men’s soccer team saw their record fall to 3-2 this past weekend, after road losses to Brock and York.

The team failed to score in either match, falling 1-0 to the Badgers and 2-0 to the Lions. Looking to get back on track, the purple and gold will face off against the first-place Western Mustangs tonight at Alumni Field.

Rugby teams continue to struggle

Both of Laurier’s rugby squads are still looking for the first win of the season as the men’s team fell to 0-3 over the weekend, while the women moved to 0-2.

The men fell in a tight contest on Wednesday night to the Brock Badgers 28-19, and then dropped a road game with the Western Mustangs 38-10. The women, meanwhile, are still in search of their first try of the year after a 37-0 loss to the Badgers.

Women’s lacrosse starts 2-1

The Golden Hawks women’s lacrosse team kicked off their 2010 season over the weekend, coming off a 2009 year in which they finished second in the province.

The Hawks took down the Guelph Gryphons 12-10 and then the Western Mustangs 6-5 before losing 10-9 in their second match against the Gryphons.

Laurier athletics director commended

On Sunday, it was announced that Laurier’s director of athletics and recreation Peter Baxter received the Omni Swim Friend Award from Swim Ontario.

Baxter was honoured for his efforts over the past two years to keep WLU’s pool open after it was almost shut down due to a lack of available funding for critical renovations.